Thursday, June 28, 2012

Colorado Wildfires

Right now, I'm listening to the sirens of fire engines leaving one of the local engine houses... but the sky is grey from rain clouds, even though it sounds as if we've gotten a lot more thunder and lightning than actual rain.  This morning, one could barely see the smoke from Flagstaff Mountain - it was lying down in a hill-clutching haze.  I have yet to see any plumes of smoke this afternoon, either. It seems that the fire here by Boulder is almost under control.  We had several small fires started by lightning strikes yesterday afternoon, and I'm pretty sure that's what is happening today.
   The High Park fire has burned 267 homes up in Larimer County, over to the west of Fort Collins.  It is now 75% contained.  At the moment, the worst fire is the Waldo Canyon fire, where over 36,000 people have been evacuated - and hundreds of homes have gone up in flames.  The numbers of homes lost near Colorado Springs hasn't been counted, as the fire is still extremely active...  The local TV stations did live, round-the-clock reporting from the scene for 36 hours.  I can not fault the coverage, but occasionally, I had to disagree with phrases that were used "live"...  Several reporters said that some of the home owners "were forced to watch their possessions burn."  Who tied these folks up, placed them in front of their homes, and forced them to keep their eyes open?   ... I know, I know... That's reacting a little strongly, but I do wish folks on the airwaves would think of what kind of picture their words are creating....  The losses of forest, field, wildlife, pets, livestock, homes and possessions has been overwhelming.  It beggars belief.
  All I can say is that my kits and I are safe and secure; and all the critters I care for are also safe and secure.  Now that the earlier rain has ended, the air reeks of wet wood-smoke.  I would rather smell wet smoke than be worrying about a fire creeping down the hill toward me!  I'll continue to keep you updated.

No comments: