Tuesday, June 12, 2012

High Park Fire; Nedi's Catch; Olympics Opening

It was a little hazy when I walked back and forth to the bakery this morning; but I could see Mount Audubon and the the Indian Peaks clearly, as well as the ridges and promontories between us.  Now, at 11 a.m., I can only make out the whiteness of the snow streaks on the Indian Peaks and Mount Audubon, most of the ridges can't be seen, and the Flatirons appear to glow eerily golden in the sun - all thanks to the smoke from the High Park fire.  The last I heard, the fire had consumed almost 46,000 acres, and was barely contained anywhere.  A 62-year-old woman lost her life in her mountainside cabin.  The loss of homes is over 120; and there are still more than 2,000 families evacuated...  Domestic animals are being rounded up and taken to a Good Will center that has veterinarians on site, as well as stalls, dogs runs, and kitty cages.  A lot of folks still don't know if they have a "home" to return to - and the fire is by no means over - it's hot and windy, and the fire is still spreading.  It's awful.
  Nedi caught a young female sparrow this morning - didn't kill it, or hurt it in any way, but brought it in for me and him to play with.  He thought it skittered into a cracker box, but I picked it up, checked it over, and released it out front, away from his and Lovey's sight.  Nedi is still looking everywhere he can think of, to see where the bird is hiding in the apartment.  I slept like a log last night.  My own bed, Lovey on my left side and Nedi on my right...  It was marvelous!  I've already taken care of Phoenix and Patches at Bret's and I've also walked Rosie and Remy.  I saw Joel as I was leaving the house, and he reconfirmed that they want me there at 7:30 tomorrow morning.
   The Opening Ceremony for the 2012 Olympics will take place on July 27.  The London Olympic Stadium will be transformed into the four countries that make up Great Britain: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The whole of the field of play in the stadium will be transformed into the rolling British countryside. Each of the four nations will be represented by their national flower: the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the daffodil of Wales and the flax from Northern Ireland. Real farmyard animals will graze on the set: 12 horses, 3 cows, 2 goats, 10 chickens, 8 geese, 70 sheep and 3 sheepdogs.  Says the director: “The Ceremony is an attempt to capture a picture of ourselves as a nation, where we have come from and where we want to be. The best part of telling that story has been working with our 10,000 volunteers. I’ve been astounded by the selfless dedication of the volunteers, they are the purest embodiment of the Olympic spirit and represent the best of who we are as a nation.”

No comments: