Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Hot One For Father's Day

Today, it's clear blue skies, and the temperature is already in the upper 60s - we're expecting a high in the low 90s.  I've taken care of Sasquatch and Tugger, and Brandi, and have fed, watered and medicated Rosie and Remy, plus walking them.  I delivered half a loaf of German rye (organic) bread and half of an apple strudel to Kathy and Jim...   As it's Father's Day, the plan was (as of yesterday evening) that Kathy, Jim, Sarah and Michael would go hiking in the Indian Peaks' Wilderness area and stop at Kathmandu in Nederland for a bite before returning to Boulder.  As of 8:30 this morning, Michael had yet to return home from a work-sponsored shin-dig that he departed for yesterday morning...  Don't know if the hiking plans will be followed or not...
  I had a blast at the Erie Farmer's Market yesterday - I ended up being the "roadie" for the trio.  I had most of the instruments, mic stands, and electric connector plugs in the vehicle I was driving (not to mention Nancy, and her suitcase full of percussion items).   It was a small but appreciative audience in Erie - probably about 150 people, over a span of two hours, and I knew almost all of the words to all of the songs.  Ricky and Mags (and Nancy) performed some old-time gospels, and songs made famous by the Beatles, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson, and Johnny Cash.  They also performed several of their own songs.  Maggie Moore plays the accordion, mandolin,  and glockenspiel; Ricky Fox plays the electric bass and an acoustic Gibson guitar; Nancy Jordan does all the percussion.  They all sing - normally Nancy sings harmony and background, while Maggie and Ricky share the lead vocals.  It was great.  The group is performing again Thursday evening in Lafayette.
   My kits have given me frantic loving this morning, and I have hugged and snuggled them.  'Course I have also fed and watered them, and cleaned their litter boxes, too.  Both are outside right now, taking in the sunshine.  I'll be home with them tomorrow night, and we'll have the next 10 days together, before I go stay with Maggie May at the end of the month.  It will be wonderful to be home with my kits again, and only be "gone" when I'm walking the dogs in the mornings.
   When I was younger, I have to admit that Mom and Dad and I watched the CBS TV show Dallas regularly for the first several seasons - I think we stopped watching after it was confirmed that I had picked out "who shot JR?" correctly, and after Jim Davis passed away.  This past Friday night, I watched the first and second episode of the new  Dallas, being broadcast on TNT.  What surprised me was how easily I slipped back into recognizing all of the family, and figuring out a few of the twists in the story - I have to admit that Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Grey, Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly were great, and I read that Ken Kercheval will be making a few appearances, as well.  The Ewing family of Southfork Ranch has returned, just as scheming and back-stabbing as ever!
   The High Park fire is continuing to spread, with over 55,000 acres (or 85 square miles) burned.  The fire is about 45% contained, and has now burned 181 homes.  Over 1600 fire fighters are working daily on containing the blaze.  However, with temperatures in the 90s, extremely low humidity, and high winds predicted for today, it looks like the outlook up there in Larimer County is pretty bleak....

No comments: