Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Record Highs Yesterday

It's only 70 at 7:40 this morning.  Yesterday, Boulder reached 98 degrees, breaking the record from 1936;  Denver reached 100 degrees.  It's been very warm, and we're expecting today's high to be 95 - just a trifle cooler than yesterday.  Besides the oscillating fan on the room divider, I have turned on the fan in the entrance hall... hopefully, this will help keep us cool.  The thermometer says it's 98 on the patio, but, then, the sun is shining onto all the glass and then is bouncing back out onto the pale concrete block walls and cement floor.  That's why I don't try to grow plants on the patio - they'll burn to a crisp in the summer.  My kits are both outside at the moment - Nedi slipped out quickly this morning, while Lovey has spent a lot of time on the corner of my desk, talking to me.  They seemed to like sleeping in the bed with me last night as much, or more, than I enjoyed sleeping with them.
   The wildfire down near Lake George has grown to over 1100 acres.  The High Park fire consumed 8 more houses yesterday, and has now burned over 96 square miles. There is a new fire burning near Pueblo, and the Pagosa Springs fire is still spreading.  The sky is hazy with smoke every afternoon, and one can smell smoke everywhere.  With today's heat, low humidity (it was at 4% yesterday), and high winds (again) today, the outlook continues to be bleak.  There are now over 1700 fire fighters at the High Park fire, and they have 30 planes and choppers dropping slurry and water up there.  More than 500 homes are now on stand-by to evacuate in Larimer County.
   Besides being "homesick" for Chincoteague Island, I think you can understand why I keep yearning for the sea and rivers, lakes, and bays....  We're a little over a month away from Pony Penning, and both Island Fever and Horse Fever have taken a strong hold of my mind.

No comments: