Monday, July 9, 2012

I Overslept This Morning!

We are still under grey and overcast skies, but I was very disturbed to find I had slept until 7:30 this morning.  Lovey usually wakes me up between 5 and 5:30, and I thought I had my alarm set for 5:40 (but when I checked it, it was set for 12:00) - I don't know what happened.  I managed to get to the red kids' by 8:15, and got them walked, and as we returned Joel was putting their breakfasts together, so that Rosie and Remy were very happy.  I scurried back home and let the kits out - but Lovey is now asleep in the cat tree, while Nedi is sleeping on the floor just inside the open door. 
   Our Flash Flood Warning has expired, with no overt flooding of Boulder Creek.  One of the Jump bus drivers told me it was pouring to the east, in Erie, and there was 3 to 4 inches of standing water in the streets there.  He also said the rain was moving west, towards us - but so far, all I've seen is a very light spit of rain - not even enough to call it a sprinkle.
   Pony Penning takes place on the 25th, 26th, and 27th of this month.  The "Saltwater Cowboys" of the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company will bring the ponies from the holding pens on Assateague Island, over to Old Dominion Point, and at slack tide (judged by the US Coast Guard), they will swim the ponies across the Assateague Channel to Pony Swim Point on Chincoteague.  After a rest, the ponies will be herded to the Carnival Grounds on Main Street.  On Thursday morning, the foals (and, possibly, a few yearlings) will be auctioned off to the highest bidder, with all the proceeds going to the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company and their ambulance service.  On Friday, the reduced herd will swim back to Assateague (the crowd gathered to view the swim back is much less than the crowd on Wednesday).  As I always say, I want to be there.

No comments: