Tuesday, July 17, 2012

London, the Arts, Ramsah, and Books

It's been 25 years since I was last in London - I don't particularly like crowds, but if I could see the Equestrian events at the Olympic Games this summer, I'd be there.  I did have to laugh as I read that, with over 237,000 people arriving at Heathrow Airport yesterday (most of them Olympic athletes), one bus load full of athletes got lost on its way to the Olympic village.  One has to wonder how much training the bus drivers have received - I know that cab drivers in London have to study for years to get licensed....
   This weekend, besides the Queen City Horse Show in Denver for Saddlebreds, Peruvian Paso Finos, Arabs, half-Arabs, Sport horses, Fresians, half-Fresians, Hackneys, etc., there is also an open air Arts Festival taking place in Boulder, on the Pearl Street Mall.  Artists from around the world, and several local talents, are participating on Saturday and Sunday - with items ranging from paintings and photography, to wood and metal sculpture, weaving, ceramics, glass, and jewelry.  At the moment, our forecast calls for very hot, very dry weather for the area - so if any one goes to either event, please stay hydrated, and avoid excessive over-heating.
   The past few nights, I have been in the back yard between the hours of 10 p.m. and midnight, and have been happy to see momma raccoon and 4 youngsters searching the yard for edibles.  Last night, I was trying to observe Ramsah when the cute critters appeared; and I had to walk forward and convince Momma  that Ramsah was not to be thought of as a potential meal.  Nancy has been managing to keep Ramsah's weight between 10.8 and 11.1 pounds; last night she was at 10.8, and then Ramsah had urinated under Nancy's bed - Nancy grabbed her, causing Ramsah to squeak, and then Nancy panicked, so I was called from my bed to check Ramsah, while in my nightgown.  Ramsah was OK - but she had either not quite finished urinating when Nancy had grabbed her, or she just finished relieving herself in the grass out back when Nancy let her go. In any event - Ramsah was OK, but had pee on her hind-end - whether from stepping in it, or being pulled through it by Nancy, or having laid in it, I don't know.  I do know that I am losing my patience with Nancy, and I don't want to do that - but recently, I can't even go to the bathroom without her phoning me, and if I don't answer immediately, she lets herself into the apartment, calling my name.  I am not happy with this development.  I am going to have to set some rules down and enforce them.
   Today is the day I don't walk Rosie and Remy - my kits have been running in and out of the back door since 6 a.m. - and the only thing I need to do today is return some library books and grab some new ones to read.  (I do have 5 new books on order, and they are in the process of being shipped here at the moment - but I still need something to occupy my mind....)

No comments: