Friday, July 6, 2012

Truth About Riding Horses (Part 1)

We had a lot of sun this morning, but it's now overcast and grey outside.  I'm trying to convince Nedi to come back in so I can get back over to the Rs; I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't sound asleep in the closet, and I just can't spot him.  (But I can't leave, in case he really is outside....)  It is hoped that, thanks to the weather, and our hard-working fire fighters, the Waldo Canyon fire (near Colorado Springs) will be totally contained by tomorrow.  There was a small grass fire near Chadwick Park outside of Denver yesterday, but it was under control within 2 hours.  ...   I can hear the murmur of thunder in the distance....
   A thoroughbred jockey died yesterday after being thrown from his horse on the track in Pleasanton, California.  His 4-year-old mount clipped heels with the horse in front, and the jock fell under both horses. The cause of death was traumatic brain injury.   .....    If you watch all the old western shows, as I always have, you would  think that all of the horses are dead quiet, and totally broke.  Unless, of course, they want to show a horse being "broken," with  it bucking and twisting and spinning to get out from under the rider.   You might, occasionally, see a rider lose his seat and fall off - but TV calls it "getting thrown."  I have fallen off many different horses many different times.  I honestly can not say that I have ever been "thrown" off.  And something the TV shows and movies never say, nor imprint on any one's mind, is that the more you ride, the more you fall.  It is an axiom.  It is true.  It does happen.

No comments: