Saturday, September 8, 2012

Happy 46th Birthday, Star Trek!

Forty-six years ago, I was 10 years old.  I was crazy about any TV show that had a horse in it - which meant, at that time, a Western....  But on September 8, 1966 a new show premiered on NBC - and I saw it and liked it, and have been a fan ever since.  The creator of the TV show, Gene Roddenberry, sold the idea to he network by describing the show as "a 'Wagon Train' to the stars..."   It was called Star Trek, and it took us on journeys "where no man had gone before."  It was a ground-breaking show in many respects -  a black female as a ship's officer, the first inter-racial kiss ever shown on TV - it was instrumental in opening the way for the empowerment of women.  All hail to thee, Great Bird of the Galaxy!  And all hail to the original cast of the original Star Trek!
From left: James Doohan, DeForrest Kelley, Walter Koenig, Majel Barrett, William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy, and George Takei
 
Over the years, I have decided that my favorite actor in the series was James Doohan, a shy family-man of many voices and accents
 
In the beginning, I was completely intoxicated by the character of Spock - and I loved the very different aspects of both Kirk and Spock's reactions to situations
 
Can I really be this old?!?
 

No comments: