Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Visit to the Vet

I got Lovey to the vet's on time this morning - we were the first patients to arrive.  She and Nedi had not been happy with me because they wanted food at 5 a.m., and, of course, Lovey couldn't have anything because of her surgery.  Once I got her inside the car, I ran back and fed Nedi and gave him a kiss.  Lovey weighed in at 11.2 pounds; the same as when she was checked back in July.  I left Tugger and Sasquatch's phone number as the emergency contact number, and went to spend the day with the boys. 
   I was at the office 15 minutes early to Lovey up - so they gave me her paperwork, and the 4 teeth that had been removed.  I did laugh:  at the bottom of the report was a note that all of her claws had been trimmed while she was under general anesthesia.  Two molars were removed, one on each side, one on the top and one on the bottom.  The big problem had been her upper canines - the roots of both of them had grown up into her sinus cavities, and they were terribly infected.  In any event, they came out, and I was given the choice of a long-acting antibiotic shot, or giving her 10 days of antibiotic pills.  I went with the shot.  Since they had to do extensive suturing where her canines were,and due to the infection, they also gave me 5 days of pain meds to give her.  I have to say that I like these pain meds - it's a gel/fluid in a syringe (without a needle), and you just place the stuff in her cheek, next to the gum.  The mucous membranes absorb the medication.  Three cheers for the advancement of veterinary medicine!!
A woozy Lovey

   Nedi, of course, is not happy with Lovey.  She smells like the vet's office and anesthesia.  He hisses at her all the time.  But he keeps on approaching her...
   I'll see how she is before I allow her outside tomorrow.  Nedi will have to stay inside until then.

No comments: