Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Back to ... Normal? (I Never Am...)

Happy Halloween! It's already the end of October and the Breeders Cup races start Friday! I've been so tied up with seeing what Sandy was doing to the East Coast, that I haven't even looked at the race schedule for Friday and Saturday - let alone see who is actually running. I'll have to do a quick study tonight and tomorrow, so I can list my picks in the blog again. Sometimes I really hit it big with my bets, and sometimes I really stink.... But that's horse racing, with so many elements and variables that change second by second.... Friday, six of the races will be run: the Juvenile Sprint, the Marathon (at 1 and 3/4 miles), the Juvenile Fillies Turf, the Juvenile Fillies, the Filly and Mare Turf, and the Ladies Classic. I still think that it's sexist to run almost all of the female races on Friday, with the male races on Saturday. Of course, the girls are considered the fairer sex, and carry 3 pounds less than the boys when they supposedly race on equal terms. The first two races that will run on Friday are open to either sex; the rest are female only. On Saturday, of the nine races to be run, one is for females only, two are for 2-year-old boys, and the other six races can have either gender entered. I'll let you know my picks for Friday's races tomorrow, and my picks for Saturday's races on Friday - plus I'll report how my choices ran...
   As I live in a wide open college town, my kits are under curfew until noon on November 1. Their curfew started at 5 p.m. yesterday. I really am not that worried about them - both kits do not like strangers. But, one never knows. Lovey, being a brown tabby, is OK, I think; but Nedi, being all black with light green eyes, might be a victim, if he's trapped. So they are inside, and I have special treats and toys to make up for them being "under house arrest."
   A lot of folks are dressed in costumes today - one of the female cashiers is dressed as Superman; and I've had the Mad Hatter pass me, along with several pirates, ghosts, zombies, and witches. I've walked Rosie and Remy, and have come back home to collapse for the rest of the day. Remy has a new walking harness - it's made by Blue Dog, and is called a "Help Em Up" harness. it goes on in two parts and clips together over his lower back. There are grips at the shoulders and the hips, so up can pull up and help support the dog's weight if it's having difficulty walking or standing. It's nicely padded, and has all sorts of adjustable belts. If you see it lying on the floor, it looks like a tremendous monster. I can put both pieces on Remy and have him ready to walk in less than 2 minutes. I like this harness!
   Chincoteague and Assateague are getting back to normal - and I want to thank Kenny Evans for letting me know that the ponies were OK as soon as he heard the news about it. My hat is off to you, Kenny! Many thanks for thinking of me, and those who read this blog!

No comments: