Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eastern Shore Islands and Sandy; Marcus Lattimore

After yesterday, I think that I'll have to look at football the same way I look at horse racing: I love and, and, I hate it. Seeing horses break down and be "put down" is always a traumatic experience for me, yet I do know and understand what the odds are in thoroughbred , or any other type of breed, racing. The first game I watched yesterday put a damper on the exhilarating feelings I usually get watching a really good football game. I was watching the South Carolina Gamecocks (and the ol' ball coach) play the Tennessee Volunteers at home. I have two favorite players on the Gamecocks - usually they would both be defensive players, but I have always liked Marcus Lattimore, their running back, and then no one can touch Jadeveon Clowney on defense. I've really admired the way Marcus Lattimore came back from a severe ACL (left knee) injury last season and has been working his way back to 100%; he's great in rushing and in catching passes, not to mention touchdowns. When I saw him get hit with 4 minutes and 21 seconds left in the first half, I knew something was wrong. First, he coughed up the ball without even trying to recover it. Second, and most ominous, was the way he curled up over his right knee - which was laying at a peculiar angle. ESPN replayed the hit in slow motion, and I ran to the bathroom and up-chucked. Marcus's leg was NOT in any normal position that I've ever seen. They spent almost 12 minutes getting him stabilized on the field, placing a knee immobilizer on, and then an inflatable cast over that... Marcus was in tears, as was his family in the stands. The Gamecocks held on to win - but, but Marcus Lattimore was taken by ambulance to the hospital. This morning, the report is that besides a broken femur, all of the ligaments in his right knee are gone (the PCL, LCL, MCL, and the ACL). He might be able to rehabilitate that leg, but it's doubtful he'll be able to live up to his potential before both of these happened.
   Then the Gators were stuffed by the Georgia Bulldogs. The Gators couldn't even score a touchdown - all their points were from field goals. That was sad. - And, the poor Colorado Buffaloes! They met the Oregon Ducks yesterday, and it was predicted that the Ducks would win by 47 points. At halftime, the score was 56 to 0. I didn't watch, but since the final score was 70 to 14, I'm guessing that Oregon allowed all of their team members to play during the second half...
Football today: I am rooting for the Redskins, Jets and the Broncos. Speaking of the Broncos, it was announced yesterday that Peyton Manning had purchased a 21-store franchise of Pappa John's Pizza... I can't say I'm surprised.
   And, finally, super storm Sandy. Chincoteague Island has declared a state of emergency; Assateague Island will be closed to visitors as of noon today (or 15 minutes ago, on the East coast). The island has announced a voluntary evacuation of low-lying areas on Chincoteague; Arcadia High School is the designated emergency shelter. Several low areas are already under water, and more flooding is expected during the next 36 hours, including the fall of 8 to 12 inches of rain. If I were at Pop-pop's house, I'd have the rugs rolled up and on the second floor, along with all of the movable furniture. Gates on Assateague are open to allow the ponies to head for high ground... 
Here is a part of the National Weather Service bulletin for the Eastern Shore:
 " ** IMPACTS...Water levels are expected to rise to 2 to 3 feet above normal by the Sunday morning and evening high tide cycle...and reach 4 feet by the Monday morning high tide cycle. Tidal flooding will continue through the Monday evening tide cycle. Moderate flooding is expected a few hours either side of high tide Sunday morning and evening...and severe flooding is expected within a few hours either side of high tide Monday morning.
** TIDES...At Ocean City inlet...High tide Sunday evening is at 750 PM with a forecast water level of 5.8 Feet. High tide Monday morning is at 819 AM with a forecast water level of 6.9 Feet. High tide Monday evening is at 825 PM with a forecast water level of 5.9 Feet."
  For everyone on the East Coast, my best wishes and prayers.
  For Marcus Lattimore, my love, tears, sympathy, best wishes and prayers.

No comments: