Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two Colorado Wildfires & An Arrest

Well, the Fern Lake wildfire in Rocky Mountain National Park doubled in size yesterday, thanks to gusty winds. And down to our south, the winds caused a power line to blow over, onto another, which created sparks - and another wildfire in Wetmore.The Fern Lake fire is not a threat to any residences; the Wetmore fire has already consumed at least 12 buildings, and almost 400 families have been evacuated from their homes. The Wetmore fire was first reported at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, and had burned over 1800 acres at 7 this morning. I've missed the noon updates on both fires, so all I can say is that the Fern Lake fire is 30% contained, but the Wetmore fire is still entirely "wild", and with today being windy, also, a lot of destruction is possible. - But, then, too, the wind is running before a cold front, which will bring us rain tonight and snow tomorrow. Hopefully it will be enough of both to help contain these fires.
   Lovey and Nedi know the weather is changing, and prefer to be next to me at the moment. Unfortunately, I have to go back to Aiko and Yoshi in a few minutes, and won't be able to nap with the kits, or give them as much love as they want. Nedi is curled up on the afghan my friend Kathryn made for me, while Lovey is crouched against my chest, while I type and try to check my spelling, since I can't see the keyboard - there's this fuzzy, warm, grey and black kitty in the way. I've walked the little boys twice today, and took Rosie and Remy out for their hour. I spent an hour with my therapist, and was floored when she informed me that my psychiatrist of 9 years, Dr. Shapiro, had retired last month. "But, I have an appointment to see him on December 4th," I said. Nancy said a few dirty words because I hadn't been contacted, told, or switched to another psychiatrist. I'm pretty much upset, too. I don't like change... especially in my care-giving doctors. I've had Jed since I moved here - and I feel a hollow pit in my tummy, since I was told that he's gone.
   A 17-year-old male has been arrested for the abduction and murder of Jessica Ridgeway. His mother phoned the police, and the young man turned himself in. Hopefully, knowing that the man accused of doing this is in custody will help her parents and family. I'm still stunned. - A teenager? - Austin Reed Sigg will be charges with two counts of murder in the first degree and a second-degree kidnapping charge, among others. He will make his first court appearance Thursday at 10 a.m. in Jefferson County. According to police documents, Sigg is a student at Arapahoe Community College. On March 23, 2012, he won second place in the Crime Scene Investigation division of the Health Occupation Students of America State Leadership Conference competition. - May you rest in peace, Jessica.

No comments: