Friday, November 2, 2012

My Breeders Cup Betting Today...

OK, because I made a bet for my husband (because he can't), and because I changed my mind on my picks in one race, I started out with $30 to bet with, and ended up with $2,614+. I ended up bombing out on several races, but, overall, I'm pleased.
  The Juvenile Sprint was fun. I went with Hightail because of his breeding, and his looks, and, honestly, because D Wayne Lukas was training him. I placed a $10 bet on him to win, and placed several $2 trifecta bets. I included Merit Man on the trifecta bets, because he was the favorite. There were two scratches in this race; Super Ninety Nine was cast in his stall this morning, and the track stewards and veterinarian scratched South Floyd after his warm-up on the track. So there were five horses in the race.... Hightail won; Merit Man was second; Sweet Shirley Mae came in third. The six furlongs were run in 1.09.75; the race had a purse of $500,000. I bet $18 of my $30 on this starting race; my payback was $285.80. So I had money to play with...
  There were thirteen starters in the $500,000 Marathon. Calidoscopio won the 1 3/4 mile race in 2.57.50; he was an import from Argentina, and I had no information on him. I made 4 bets on this race, spending $17. I made three win only bets of $5, and, in memory of my husband, I made a $2 exacta that I'm sure he would have made, on Calidoscopio over Grassy. That $2 bet paid $505, while I also lost $15... Calidoscopio ran first; Grassy was second, and Atigun was third. I had chosen Fame and Glory and Sense of Purpose, both of whom were eased and did not finish the race, along with Balladry, who finished 6th, and Jaycito, who was last of the finishers. Bad choices on my part...
  In the Juvenile Filly Turf, I had no info on Flotilla or The Gold Cheongsam. As soon as I saw film of Flotilla this afternoon, I switched her onto my betting list. Flotilla won the $1 million race in 1.34.64. My other two choices were Watsdachances and Summer of Fun, who finished second and third. I had also placed a 5 $1 exacta bets and 5 $1 trifecta bets... I spent $25 in bets; my return was $1,853.50. My picks from Thursday's Blog finished second and third; with Sustained scratched by the veterinarian, Moonwalk was 7th, and Infanta Branca was 11th.
  The Juvenile Filly was a bust for me - Beholder won the $2 million race in 1.43.68. Second was Executiveprivilege, and third was Dreaming of Julia. I was now betting soft - only to win, and only on the horses I named in the Blog... Dreaming of Julia placed third; Kauai Katie was fourth; Spring in the Air was fifth; and Almost an Angel was last... I lost $20 in bets....
  The Filly and Mare Turf was for $2 million, and Zagora won it in 1.59.70. (Again, being a squirrel, and wanting to save most of what I'd already won, I only placed bets to win...) I placed $5 win bets on Marketing Mix, who finished in second; The Fugue, who placed third; Ridasiyna finished fourth, and I'm a Dreamer , who was sixth. At least some of my picks finished in the money, even though I didn't bet that way... (So another $20 gone.)
  The Ladies Classic was the last Breeders Cup race of today. I didn't pick the winner here, either - but I'm very happy that Mike Smith won his 15th BC race. Undefeated Royal Delta was the betting favorite, and she stayed undefeated, winning the $2 million race in 1.48.80. Questing, who was expected to shoot to the front of the race, never wanted to run, and was eased well before the finish. The vets could not find anything wrong with her immediately. My Blog picks were My Miss Aurelia, who finished second; Include Me Out, who was third; Awesome Feather was 6th; and Class Included was 7th.
   All in all, I spent $120 on my bets. I ended up with $2,644.30, counting the $30 I started with. Not too bad, actually....  I'll start out with $50 in hand tomorrow.

No comments: