Saturday, November 3, 2012

Saturday's Breeders Cup Results

Well, I didn't win anywhere near as much as I did yesterday, but having started with $50, and finishing with $743.20 isn't too bad a record. My choices for today's races stank. I placed five $2 win bets on the first race; lost $10. I placed four $2 win and $2 place bets on the second race; lost $16. That meant I only had $24 of my stake left. On the third race, I placed four $2 place bets, spending $8. I got a return of $8.40. Fourth race, I made four $2 win bets, and a $1 trifecta that I felt Jeff would have bet. The trifecta paid $360.50. So you want to know how poorly I handicapped the races? Here goes:
  In the Juvenile Turf, I picked Balance the Books, who finished in third; Joha, who finished in eighth; Brown Almighty, who finished in ninth; and Know More, who finished 13th out of fourteen runners. (Minus $10, because I also bet on Gervinho.) George Vancouver (who is a descendant of *Forli) won; Noble Tune was second; and Balance the Books (also *Forli-bred) was third.
  In the Filly and Mare Sprint, my blog choices finished third (Switch), seventh (Turbulent Descent), ninth (Great Hot), and last (Strike the Moon). Groupie Doll, a gorgeous chestnut filly, won; she was the betting favorite. Dust and Diamonds, whose pedigree I liked, but didn't bet on, was second; and Switch was third. (Lost another $16. - Now down to $24 to bet on the rest of the day's races....)
  In the Dirt Mile, I just bet four separate horses to place; luckily, Rail Trip did run second. Jersey Town finished fifth; Shackleford was seventh, and Fed Biz was eighth. Tapizar won the race; Rail Trip was second; and Delegation was third. I had bet $8, and received $8.40 as my payback.
  The Turf Sprint had me cringing because the race seemed so wide open - I bet my blog picks to win, and then, just for the heck of it, I got a $1 trifecta ticket, betting on horses I felt Jeff would pick. I lost another $8 on my blog picks to win. Unbridled's Note finished second; Great Mills was fourth; Great Attack was fifth; and Corporate Jungle was sixth. But, playing my "husband hunch" I bet Mizdirection, Undridled's Note, and Reneesgotzip on the $1 trifecta slip. I received $360.50 back.
  Since I now had a little cushion, I bet a little more: I made four $2 place bets, and five $2 exacta bets for the Juvenile. I saw how superb Shanghai Bobby looked, and I used him in the win spot on the exacta bets. Shanghai Bobby won the race, with He's Had Enough in second, and Capo Bastone was third. I had bet He's Had Enough on a $2 exacta with Bobby, and I had also bet on him to place - so I garnered $103.40. My other picks finished fourth (Fortify), Speak Logistics was seventh; and Monument was last. Rosie Napravnik became the second ever female Breeders Cup winning jockey, following in Julie Krone's footsteps.
  In the Turf, I made five $2 win bets - four on the horses I liked, and one for Jeff - I lost, Jeff won. My picks, St. Nicholas Abbey, was third; Trailblazer was fourth; Treasure Beach was tenth; and Optimizer was eleventh of twelve. The winner was Little Mike (Jeff liked Unbridled's bloodlines, and all grey horses); Point of Entry finished second. I handed over $10, and got $36.60 back.
  I was completely blown away by Trinniberg's win in the Sprint. I bet the four horses I had named in my blog - $2 each to both win and place. The Lumber Guy finished second, so I got $6.40 back, having handed over $16. Not a great deal. My other three horses were disappointing: Coil was seventh; Hamazing Destiny was tenth; and Gantry finished in eleventh place.
  With only nine entries in the Mile Turf, I felt I could play some more, and spread the money around.... I was getting punch drunk, I think. I really didn't hand over that much at the window - $12 - four $2 win tickets, one $2 exacta, and one $2 trifecta. My horses did not win. I had bet on Obviously, who finished in third; Excelebration, who finished fourth; Suggestive Boy was seventh; and Moonlight Cloud was eighth of nine. I had made my exacta bet on Mr. Commons and Obviously (fifth and third). But, again, I made a Jeff bet - and hit it nicely with the trifecta: Wise Dan, Animal Kingdom, and Obviously. I was handed $249.40 for that choice. Wise Dan, the favorite, finished the one mile on turf in 1:31.78 to break the previous Santa Anita record of 1:31.89 set by Atticus in 1997.
  Then I blew my top when my local station pre-empted the first 30 minutes of the Classic coverage because Notre Dame and Penn State had run into three over-times. I called the station, I e-mailed the station, and I complained to NBC. Too bad - I just missed 30 minutes of "lead-in".... Game on Dude was the betting favorite as the horses entered the starting gate. I lost my mind while I was angry with the local station: I made a $10 win bet, then quickly made four other $2 win bets... The horses I made $2 bets on were: Ron the Greek, who finished in fourth place; Richard's Kid, who ran fifth; Nonios, who was sixth; and To Honor and Serve, who finished tenth in a field of twelve. Apparently my brain knew what it was doing, because I placed the $10 win bet on Fort Larned, who won. The big guy Mucho Macho Man finished in second; and Flat Out was third.
   I spent $117 on my bets - I cleared $693.20. My winnings from both days went into my grand-daughter's college savings account.

No comments: