Sunday, November 25, 2012

Surprise Sunday

I arrived home from making three last pet-sitting stops, loved and fed Nedi and Lovey, then listened to my voice mails. I left Tessa, Dhisana and Lily unfed because their real people were due home at 5:30 yesterday evening. At 7 p.m., I'm listening to my voice mail, and hear their owner say, "Guess what? I have wonderful news! We were able to change our return tickets, so we won't be back until 9 p.m. on Tuesday." Luckily, Camilla (who rents the basement apartment) was willing to feed and care for the critters last night. I slept in my own bed, and spent today with T,D and L. My kits were wild to get out when I arrived home a few minutes ago - Camilla is caring for the critters again tonight; but I'll be back over there in the morning... The Gators and Gamecocks won yesterday, and the Broncos won today - the Saints are playing now, and the Packers play later.
  There was a wildfire near Carter Lake, a little to the north of us on Friday; and with the dry spell and the winds we've been having, the Fern Lake wildfire in Rocky Mountain National Park has flared up again. It's producing a good amount of smoke now, and has burned over 1.8 square miles of forest and brush. ... The National Western Stock Show had been making noises about leaving Denver and moving to new facilities in Aurora, but Denver and the Stock Show folks have agreed to another 10-year lease of the Stock Show grounds. ... Shackleford, the 4-year-old chestnut colt who won last year's Preakness, finished his racing career with a win in the Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs. He led from the gate to the wire, winning the 1 mile and 1/8 race by a length. He'll stand at Darby Dan Farm for $20,000 beginning in January. .... In a battle between Triple Crown winners, Gentildonna became the first 3-year-old filly to win the Japan Cup (Jpn-I) when she took on favored Orfevre in a furious stretch duel and edged the older colt by a nose Nov. 25 at Tokyo Racecourse. Gentildonna was coming off a successful Japanese filly triple crown series this year, while Orfevre won the Japanese Triple Crown in 2011 and is the reigning Horse of the Year in that country. The stretch run was not without controversy. Gentildonna had to squeeze through on the rail inside of Tosen Jordan and then angle outside of leader Beat Black. In maneuvering the filly around those two tiring horses, jockey Yasunari Iwata, using a left-handed whip, caused Gentildonna to make contact with Orfevre, who was racing to the filly's outside. The incident prompted an inquiry lasting about 15 minutes, and the stewards ultimately let the order of finish stand. However, they suspended Iwata two days for careless riding. The jockey will have to serve them Dec. 1-2, keeping him out of the Dec. 2 Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I).
  My sister and brother-in-law are expecting the excavation team to arrive tomorrow; they have to replace their septic system (it's been in use since 1955). So, since I'm five doors down the street, I've told them to feel free to visit me through Tuesday evening - and to bring Mona and Boo over to run in the back yard. That's where I'll take Rosie and Remy for the next two days (making sure I don't let Lily or Dhisana outside), and Tessa loves to have someone to play with. Both Mona and Boo behave with cats, while the Rs do not... Our high temperature today was 63, and our high tomorrow is forecast as 43, with snow flurries in the afternoon. Then we're supposed to be clear and dry for the rest of the week. Some of the ski resorts are only open on the weekend, and are using man-made snow; but a few high up on the western slope have a good base and are now open every day...

No comments: