Sunday, December 2, 2012

Intriguing Names in Louisiana

Something must be wrong with the kits; they let me sleep until almost 8 this morning. I smelled smoke from the Fern Lake fire a couple of times yesterday, and one could definitely see the smoke to the northwest. The winds of Friday night spread the fire 3 miles closer to Estes Park, which is what caused the evacuations yesterday. Most folks who were evacuated were allowed back home last night. However, there is a Red Flag Warning that begins at noon today for the Front Range and RMNP, which means winds in excess of 40 mph on top of the drought conditions. I've always wanted a cabin in the mountains, but I'm kinda happy I don't have one at this point in time.
  The kits have been running in and out this morning, as I've checked my e-mails and read the latest news (and stuffed my face, too). It's sunny, but cooler. I move in with the two munchkins on Tuesday, and stay through Sunday evening. Aiko and Yoshi are entertaining companions, and the house is next door to Rosie and Remy, so I'll be close to everyone. (I'm also walking and medicating Peach Monday and Tuesday.) I started marking next year's calendar with reservations yesterday afternoon, and found I'm solidly booked through June already. Then I started looking for more information on Isaac Newton Capps' parents. Since I'm currently reading through the 1850 Census for Louisiana, a couple of names jumped out at me. The first was Alcifort Bonamour, a 25 year-old field laborer; the other was an immigrant from Quebec, whose name was Bigearellide Capis. That first name intrigues me... how would one pronounce it? Break it up into chunks, and get Big-ear-elli-de? It's an interesting conundrum.
  I hope that your Sunday is a super one.

No comments: