Thursday, December 13, 2012

Name That Foal E-Bay Auction

My equilibrium decided to go on vacation yesterday afternoon... I arose from my desk chair, took two steps, and crashed to the floor because I couldn't tell which way was up. So I kept my eyes closed and made it to the medicine chest, where I pulled out my trusty package of meclazine, and took two. Then I went to bed for an hour. When I awoke, I was a little fuzzy-headed from the meds, but the AntiVert had kicked in, and I could function again. I had to take another dose last night, and then again this morning. I hope this clears up before we go see The Hobbit...
  It's 32 outside and we have partly cloudy skies. The kits are running in and out, and Nedi and the raven family are heckling each other. Cashew the squirrel has ducked inside, with a pecan in each forepaw to thank me for this mornings offering. I'll go walk Rosie and Remy and then finish the work on the gift I'm making; hopefully I'll be able to send it via Express Mail by Monday.
  Not much else going on, unless you'd like to donate money to name a Chincoteague pony foal up on the Maryland end of Assateague Island... Anyone shopping for a fan of Assateague Island National Seashore has the chance to get a truly unique memento of the park during the eBay Name that Foal auction. Since 2009, each year before Christmas, the Assateague Island Alliance, the park’s friends group, has sold the chance to name that year’s foals in an online auction.
   “If you have the extra money, this really gives you a special opportunity to fund an organization you care about and get a great gift in return,” said Christina Hulslander, Assateague Island Alliance program manager.Those interested in naming one of the wild horses have until Dec. 17 to take part in the auction. Although there are two 2012 foals at the park, the naming rights to just one are available through the online auction this year. The other was named by the National Park Service in honor of Jay Kirkpatrick, the scientist who researched and developed the contraceptive originally used for the park’s wild horses.
   The foal that will be named by the winner of the auction is the pinto filly born this spring to the mare April Star. Park staff member think her father was Fonzi, the sorrel stallion known for frequenting the campgrounds. Hulslander said many of the park’s visitors are familiar with the filly because her herd lives near the roadway. The auction’s highest bidder will have the opportunity to name the filly and will receive a packet with her photo and other information. Once she is named, she will be put into AIA’s Foster Horse Program, which enables participants to sponsor the park’s equines. The funds raised by AIA’s program are invested back into Assateague Island National Seashore.

No comments: