Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Waiting For Snow (Again)

Overcast with an occasional glimpse of sun has been our weather so far today. I've placed peanuts and pecans out for the squirrels and all of them are gone. The patio door is open, it's 40 degrees out, and the kits are playing tag in the back yard. I've got dried beans in soak so I can make Ham and 3-Bean soup tomorrow to counter the high temperature of 24... I'll start them in the Crock Pot early in the morning - they will be edible by lunch, but wonderful by supper time. I also stocked up on kitty food and treats plus nuts for the squirrels and shredded wheat for the ravens and crows. (I don't know why, but those birds just love shredded wheat when it snows...) The weather folks are saying we'll get between 4 and 10 inches of snow. Heck, I'd like 2 or 3 feet of the stuff. Our water tables are horribly low for this time of year, and any moisture is welcome. It's been so cool this past week that snow from last Tuesday's fall is still on the ground in shaded areas. One of the cars I saw come down from Nederland this morning had more than three inches of snow already on the top and hood...
  Rosie and Remy were eager to go out for their walk and play period this morning. Once Mona and Boo came outside, Rosie gave up possession of her blue bone to Mona, so I had to chase Mona around for several minutes - Mona runs in figure 8s around me when she gets any one of Rosie's toys. Rosie likes soft toys that squeak; Mona is a guaranteed destroyer of squeaky toys. Once she finishes making it squeak, she rips out the squeaker, and then she shreds the toy and any stuffing. She is quite gleeful about it, so I found a box of 94-cent toys at Wal-Mart that are soft and squeaky, and I got five of them for her Christmas present...
  If it snows and it's less than 30 degrees outside tomorrow, then I'm staying at home. I have reading material, research material, TV and the Internet; plenty to eat and drink; a warm roof over my head and my cats for company - what more could one want on a cold, snowy day?

No comments: