Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bald Eagle Slaughter

I finally opened my Christmas package from my friend in Florida - I received it a week before Christmas, but my friends' package was late in arriving at her home. This morning, I was like a small child - I was giggling as I ripped open my wrapped gifts. There were several packages, and the first I opened was labeled for Nedi and Lovey - 12 new toys, that they have already played with and marked as their own. Then a package of note cards, a magazine about the making of The Hobbit, and then, a beautiful nightshirt with matching socks. Carolyn, you always seem to know exactly what I need. My thanks for being my friend for such a long time. I am truly blessed to be friends with you and Greg! Thank you for the wonderful gifts; they will be treasured.
  It's gorgeous outside - sunny sky, no clouds, and temperatures in the upper 40s. I have my patio door wide open, and I'm sitting here in a T-shirt and jeans, and am very comfortable. The kits have been running in and out for most of the morning - and I've had breakfast, my medications, and a nice,long phone conversation with Carolyn. I am content. Lovey is lying on the cat tree, and looking out the window. Nedi is lying across the patio threshold, watching leaves move in the slight breeze. I head over to Tugger and Sasquatch's this afternoon, to begin 10 days of feeding, medicating, playing, reading and grooming. I also need to remind myself to take my camera, as I don't have photos of those two. They are nice, loving kitties.
  I was upset to read that someone has shot and killed four bald eagles in Snohomish County, Washington. Apparently the person who shot them was just out for the joy of killing - nothing was removed from any of the birds, and all four were thrown into a semi frozen lake, where they were found, floating. All four bald eagles had been killed by a small calibre rifle. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Native American Stillaguamish tribe are offering a combined reward of $13,750 for information regarding the killings. The criminal penalty for killing a bald eagle without a permit was increased from a maximum fine of $500 and six months imprisonment to a maximum fine of $5,000 and one year's imprisonment. Furthermore, in the second case of second conviction, the penalty was increased to $10,000 fine and two years imprisonment. The maximum amount of a misdemeanor offense was increased $100,000 under the Criminal Fines and Improvement Act of 1987. In addition, $250,000 will be fined for an individual for a demeanor and a felony conviction. Respectively, $200,000 and $500,000 will be fined in case of an organization for a misdemeanor and felony conviction. The civil penalty was added, stating anyone who takes, posses, transports, sells, barters, or purchases any dead or alive Bald or Golden Eagles will be fined $5,000 for each violation. In addition, he or she who violates or disturbs any egg or nest will be fined under the civil penalty act. The act allowed the taking, possession, or transporting of the Bald and Golden Eagles in areas where they were endangering wildlife and livestock.

No comments: