Monday, January 7, 2013

Elk Vigil; Unexplained Weight Gain

More than 200 people showed up for a candle light vigil last night that celebrated the life of Edward the Elk; they sang "Amazing Grace" and decorated one of the fir trees that Edward slept under with white lights and a lot of small elk. Some of the elk were hand drawn and colored, some were made of felt, some crocheted, some were hand carved figurines and some were made of china, plastic, or metal. It was a fitting and emotional tribute to a bull elk who had made Mapleton Hill his home for the past 10 winters. The law officers who were involved in his killing and butchery are under investigation. Farewell, Edward!
  I should know better than to really want a team to win - it causes such let downs when your expectations are not met. From the four wild card playoff games, only the Packers were able to defeat their opponents. Next weekend, the Broncos will play the Ravens here at home (we beat them by 18 points in Baltimore in week 15).
  Both Lovey and Nedi slept on top of me most of the night - Nedi moved when I accidentally coughed in his ear, but he just moved down by my knees instead of being up by my shoulder. Lovey stayed snuggled tight all night long. Turns out I'm off to stay with Aiko and Yoshi until Thursday afternoon, with this bronchitis, at least I don't have to exert myself too much in caring for them. Rosie and Remy both gained 5 pounds while their family was gone, and yesterday Joel found an empty bag of Chef Michael's dog food in the back yard. All I can think of is that last week, a lady and her two kids commented on how "skinny" Rosie and Remy were when I was walking them; I explained that they were hounds and should have a herring gut, not a straight bottom line. The lady had said they were just "visiting" and had walked along with us back to the house. That night, between 6:30 and 7, Rosie started barking and ran outside; Remy joined her, and they stayed out for about 15 minutes. This happened 6 nights in a row, and when the Rs came back in, they both drank a lot of water. I wonder if this lady and her kids came back and fed the "poor, skinny" dogs....
  My friend Michele in Wisconsin told me about the new RFD TV show called "Gentle Giants" - it's on at 5:30 here in Colorado - and I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight. The folks and camera crew travel the US, visiting draught (oops! draft) horses and working mules - I can't wait! Have a good week!

No comments: