Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Snow (!) and Horses

My clients decided to end their vacation in Washington state early, and, so, I am home again. Lovey and Nedi loved having me to curl up on and talk to last night... Just as I was leaving Aiko and Yoshi's big, white drops were falling - not quite snow, but a little too cold to be a raindrop - it was very interesting. It fell on the roadways and ground and melted; it hit the bus windshield as liquid; but by the time I walked the last block home, it was truly snowing. There were three inches of snow on the ground this morning, and we're expecting a few more tonight, when our low is 10 degrees. Nedi had to play outside in the snow for a while, like any little boy, and then I had to towel him dry when he decided to stay inside. Lovey walked out, sniffed the air, and came back inside and curled up on the bed. I am still riding a "high" from being able to visit the Stock Show - I hope it continues to last! And I have an appointment to see my MD again at 5:45 this afternoon because I am still coughing up gunk, and coughing until I choke... Hopefully, he'll give me more Tessalon Perles, so I won't be gasping for breath all the time.
  It's the end of January, and the North American racing scene is stating to think about the Kentucky Derby. Shanghai Bobby, who won the Breeders Cup Two-Year-Old championship, was defeated by Itsmyluckyday by two lengths in last weekend's Holy Bull. This was Bobby's first defeat in his career. Both colts are being pointed at the Florida Derby. ... Jackson Bend was retired to stud duty after a freak accident on the track last summer - a riderless horse ran into him broadside and knocked him down. Jackson Bend had a swollen and very back and ribs, and it's thought he had a concussion. He bred a couple of mares this past week, but seemed to experience back pain while covering the ladies and dismounting. It has been decided to postpone his stud duties until next year.

No comments: