Thursday, February 14, 2013

Books, Horses and Weather

The weather folks say tonight will be good for cuddling - I'll cuddle with my two cats. It's still below freezing outside, and snow is expected shortly after noon. I went to the store and got a few days' supply of cat food and soup, hoping that we'll get more than the 2 inches of snow predicted. I currently have Ice Station Zebra playing on the TV, and both kits are inside. Nedi is in the top of the cat tree, while Lovey is curled up in the afghan at the foot of the bed. The clouds look forbidding to the east, but there's blue sky to the west...
  Racing star Rachel Alexandra produced her second foal about 2:30 Tuesday morning - a filly by Bernardini, who weighed in at 140 pounds. The foal is on a nurse mare, as Rachel A is in serious condition at the Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital. She has had surgery to repair bruising in her small intestine, which occurred during foaling. Last year, she was at R & R for three days for "pain management" after giving birth to Jess's Dream, a colt by Curlin. I certainly hope that the lady makes it. She was a fantastic racer, with a huge heart. .... Waiting for news of Zenyatta and her second foal this spring. ..... Eblouissante, Zenyatta's half-sister, has been pointed at the March 16th Santa Margarita, but she is recovering from a foot bruise and may not make the race. She has won both of her previous races handily.
  I finished my library books last night and am ready to start back into the next 4 books of the Chronicles of Camulod by Jack Whyte. I thoroughly enjoyed Christopher Fowler's latest Peculiar Crimes Unit mystery. And, if I had my way, everyone who is eligible to vote in the next Presidential election should be required to read Sneaky Pie for President by Rita Mae Brown. It is a fantastic book, well worth the time it takes to read, quite funny and, again, sad in places. However, it's a fantastic read, all in all. I'd rate it a 10 out of 10.
  Happy Valentine's Day to every one who reads this. I hope you have someone to love, and who loves you.

No comments: