Friday, February 1, 2013

Richard III and Football

Today is the first day of February, so my first question, upon awakening, was when will the DNA test results be announced regarding the skeleton thought to be King Richard III? This is something I want to know! Is the skeleton, found under a city parking lot in Leicester, in the area thought to be the choir stall of Grey Friars' Abbey, actually that of the King? The skeleton shows scoliosis, there is an iron arrowhead embedded between his vertebrae, and there was a broken skull, as from a sword stroke from behind; these point to it being the King. Hopefully the DNA extracted from the skeleton was not too degraded to prove whether or not this is Richard's remains. The folks who loved and served the Duke of York (later King Richard III) could not grasp the idea of him having killed the Princes in the Tower. Having read a good deal about him, neither can I. When will the announcement be made, from where, and what are the results? This will plague me until the announcement is made...
  It's a beautiful day here in Boulder - a few clouds in a bright blue sky, a faint breeze, and temperatures that should rise into the 40s. The crows, ravens, and squirrels have been having a ball eating my gifts to them. Lovey and Nedi are running in and out, as usual. Lovey has suddenly focused on my Tessalon Perles medication bottle... She wants to have the bottle within her grasp, and mark it with her scent. I finally put it inside my desk drawer this morning, having had to retrieve it more than 30 times from her. All I can guess is the medicine has some sort of catnip-type aroma...
   The big event this weekend, is, of course, the Super Bowl - the Baltimore Ravens playing the San Francisco Forty-Niners in New Orleans to decide who is the best American football team. This year, I have a problem - I hope for a good clean game, without injuries; but I like both teams. I like Baltimore just because they are the closest team to Chincoteague Island; and I like Colin Kaepernick, the young, long, lanky quarterback of the 49ers... I just hope that it's not an all-offense game. I like to see the defense get big, hard hits. Speaking of quarterbacks, Tim Tebow is currently working with the British track team in Phoenix, Arizona. His presence has made barely a ripple, and most folks don't know he's in town. The British coach says that Tebow has an amazing capacity for absorbing and implementing instructions and information that is given him. The coach says that he has greatly improved his speed from the starting blocks, and has asked intelligent questions regarding the mechanics of his running form. The coach says Tebow has improved greatly, but will never be a sprint champion. And some of the talking heads on the sports channels say that they don't think Tebow will ever be a starting quarterback in the NFL again, but that he might be able to fit into a full back, half back or tight end position...

No comments: