Thursday, February 21, 2013

Snow; Horse Slaughterhouse in Oklahoma

It started to snow about 4:15 yesterday afternoon - we got about 3 1/2 inches during the evening, and then it started snowing again around daybreak. The kits ran out into the snow this morning, then came right back inside. I left the door open long enough to put nuts and cookies out for the squirrels and birds, and then I firmly closed and locked it again. The wind is blowing from the south-south-east, and, as my patio faces east, almost half of the area is snow-covered. Nedi did a drop and roll in the snow when he first ran out, but then shook most of the snow off. I've taken my meds and had a banana and half of an orange for breakfast - I decided not to walk over to the store and bakery this morning (for once).
   Personally, I don't even like to think about eating horse meat. I suppose, that in extremity, I might survive by doing so, but only if I didn't have to kill the horse myself. I just love horses too much - as living, breathing, thinking companions. I know that I grow extremely attached to any animal in my care - which is why I never raised a critter for 4-H.In any event, I've been watching the news from Europe regarding the discovery of horse meat in burgers and other items that were supposed to be beef. I was surprised to see, a few days ago, that Nestle was recalling a pasta and meat dinner (lasagna?) from several European countries, as it was discovered they contained horse meat. I know that the French, Japanese and several other countries, or cultures, believe horse meat to be a better meat than beef. Me, I simply can't swallow that idea. I am wandering. My apologies. The following is from today's electronic version of The BloodHorse magazine: "Oklahoma could soon allow the slaughter of horses for human consumption, ending a ban that has been in place in the state for close to 50 years, under a pair of bills easily approved Feb. 20 in the state legislature. Both the House and Senate passed separate bills that would end the ban and allow a horse slaughtering plant to open in the state. Both measures still would ban the sale of horse meat for consumption in Oklahoma, but would allow for the meat to be exported to other countries. Rep. Skye McNiel said passage of the bill could provide a humane option for unwanted, aging horses, many of which are abandoned or eventually shipped to horse slaughtering facilities in Mexico. She said where she lives in rural Oklahoma, older horses often are abandoned on dead end roads or pastures by people who can no longer afford to care for them. "Nobody wants horses to be abused. I don't," said McNiel, R-Bristow, who said during debate on the bill that she grew up riding horses. "They have value as live animals. Why can't they have value after they're done with their usefulness? Why can't they have value as a dead animal?"..." I really don't feel that this is a good idea, folks. I really believe this might lead to the killing of mustangs for profit, once again.

No comments: