Friday, February 22, 2013

Television Programs and Snow

Wednesday evening's snow is still just sitting there on the ground - it's all of 15 degrees at the moment (in the single digits overnight), but the sun is shining, and we're supposed break the freezing mark this afternoon. Expecting more snow Sunday and then again Tuesday. The kits are pretty bummed with the snow, but they did have a couple of wild chases this morning, running up and down the lengths of every ones patios. Nedi is asleep in the cat tree, soaking up sunshine, while Lovey is curled up on my pillow in bed. Tomorrow evening I start "working" again - I'll be house-sitting for Aiko and Yoshi, the Shih Tzus, through Wednesday night. I'll start walking them Sunday, and, thankfully, with their short little legs, I won't have to exert myself too much to keep up with them. I will, hopefully, start working with Rosie and Remy again on Monday. I've recently lost two clients due to the "illness" of old age: Brandi, the Zen Australian Shepherd, who was blind, passed away last month; and Peach, a wonderful and very lovable yellow Labrador, left us two days ago. It doesn't seem possible that they are no longer here, in the fur. I'm sure, however, that they crossed the Rainbow Bridge in loving company and they are running happily through heavenly fields.
  While waiting for Person of Interest last night, I ended up on the BBC America channel, watching Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan. I was amazed and entranced by the young man, and was immediately reminded of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. Young Mister Monaghan was very interesting and knowledgeable about the things he talked about, and he had the verve, excitement, and intensity that Steve Irwin had. Last night, the episode was about seeing the white Goliath beetle in it's natural habitat in Cameroon. The show introduced us to the insect collection trade, the country of Cameroon, the customs of the local people, and introduced the local wildlife that was seen during the search for the beetle. I haven't been so riveted to the TV since Steve Irwin passed away. Dominic Bernard Patrick Luke Monaghan has always had a spot in my heart since he portrayed Merry (Meriadoc) Brandybuck in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. He certainly has my attention now, as a master craftsman of a very informative wildlife show.
  Speaking of television, I thoroughly enjoyed Person of Interest last night, and both NCIS and Vegas on Tuesday night. But then I realized that I kept seeing ads for a new show called Golden Boy that will be showing in the Vegas time slot beginning next week. - I admit that my TV is on quite a bit, without me truly watching whatever is on. I use it as background noise, since I live in a downtown area with frequent heavy truck traffic, fire trucks and ambulances, plus the fact that I can hear my neighbors in the building without any problem, if there is no background noise. I don't like being an eavesdropper, and it can be very embarrassing at times, if one does not have some background noise covering the sounds that come through walls and ceilings. (You must remember I'm living in an apartment building that is older than I am.) - I was upset to see that Vegas will more than likely, not be on the air next year, due to low viewership. Now I don't sit camped in front of the TV: I watch local news and weather; I watch Jeopardy!; I faithfully watch NCIS, Vegas, and Person of Interest. If I have nothing that has seduced my attention, I usually watch CSI:NY and Blue Bloods. All of those shows, with the exception of the game show, are on CBS. I watch local NBC news, and Jeopardy! is on ABC. So, in trying to find out why the new show was coming on in the Vegas time slot, I was amazed to find out that both CSI:NY and Vegas are under the proverbial hatchet... If they go, I'll just have more time to read and do research... I truly like both shows, but I love Vegas. Too bad that people don't enjoy a good, twisted story line involving family, the law, crime families in Vegas, gambling, and classic cars and clothing. I have a blast each time I watch the show. Apparently very few others enjoy the same thing, however. That's just too bad.

No comments: