Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tidbits & Frozen Dead Guy Days

Finally, after being held hostage for six days, little Ethan is back at home with his family. FBI agents said the situation was deteriorating, and the Hostage taker was seen with a handgun in close proximity to the young boy. A raid was made, the boy escaped unharmed, and the hostage taker is dead. At least that is now under control, and Ethan can be with loved ones again!
  I spent 90 minutes under a hot shower this morning - I feel as if I got rid of about two pounds of snot from my sinuses. I am still coughing, but, right now, I can breathe easier. (And you have no idea how happy that makes me!) Lovey is continuing to sleep on my shoulder, or snuggled next to my neck, and I feel the need to apologize to her every time I have to cough or gasp during the night. Nedi has decided it's safer to sleep next to my head, on one side of the pillow or the other - and if I cough for more than 60 seconds, he leaves (I really can't blame him!). The weather folks are saying that we'll continue to have highs in the mid-50s through Friday, then have snow over the weekend. That's fine with me - give me rain or snow, I don't care which.
  The drought is not lessening, and hay prices here in Colorado are going through the roof - the cost is triple what it normally is, and good hay is scarce. This is really impacting folks who have horses, cattle, goats and sheep - whether for fun, work, or profit. Usually we can get extra hay from neighboring states, but they are all in the same boat as Colorado this year.
  I am still excited by the DNA identification of King Richard III, who died 528 years ago. Today, the University of Leicester unveiled their facial reconstruction of Richard III - using a three dimensional image of the King's skull, a computer program added flesh, muscles, and skin. The face is amazingly like that of the earliest portrait of the King that exists, from 1520 - supposedly the copy of an original:

  I always forget about Frozen Dead Guy Days up in Nederland, until those days have arrived. Frozen Dead Guy Days will occur on March 8, 9, and 10 this year, in and around Nederland. Grandpa Bredo is kept on dry ice in a Tuff Shed in town, and we celebrate his life each year. For further information, please visit http://frozendeadguydays.org/

No comments: