Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Drought; Cats and Dogs

We almost reached 60 degrees yesterday, but the wind made it feel much cooler - just like today. Partly sunny skies, nice in the sun, but when the wind picks up, you feel as if your ears will freeze and fall off.It's supposed to slowly get cooler over the next two days, with snow arriving for the weekend, and below freezing temperatures through Monday. Just give me rain or snow or sleet, please! I live in the Lower Platte River water area, and at this moment we are at 68% of the usual snow norm - and already having wild fires in March. We really need another 8 to 10 feet of snow up in the mountains, and a good 3 feet of snow to cover the east side of the Continental Divide. We began the fire season like this in 2002 - and we had the worst wildfire season on record that year. I want rain, snow, or sleet! I don't care if it slows traffic or closes businesses for a day or two. Our drought is continuing just too long to be comfortable!
   Poor Remy - he wants to walk with Rosie and I so badly, but his body just can't do it. Today, he walked to the Snow yard with no problem, and then spent most of the time there wandering around, instead of sitting or lying in the sun. Now, please don't misunderstand me - I'm very happy that Remy felt like wandering and that he did so - but that made it very difficult on the way home, because he could only take 20 steps or so before his hind legs would just give out and spill him onto the ground. The vets that see him say that he feels no pain, and he doesn't pant or breathe any harder - the nerves in his hind legs just no longer connect well with his brain. He knows something is not right, and he looks you in the eyes with an apologetic, wrinkled brow... It is just so worrisome.
   Lovey and Nedi are doing well. I think I upset Nedi just a bit last night - he had wanted out very badly, so I opened the patio door. I hadn't seen him for about an hour, so I stuck my head out onto the patio and called him. He replied right next to my ear - he was curled up, sound asleep on the top of the cat tree, and I hadn't even seen him. Once I had woken him up, however, he had to make a last trip out before being shut in for the night. Lovey didn't care - she was already curled up in the afghan on my bed.

No comments: