Friday, March 15, 2013

Pets and Love; Accomack Arson

I am becoming more perturbed each day with the arsonist in Accomack County, Virginia. Last night, he/she/they/it burned an historic building to the ground - a turn-of-the-century wooden school house in Cashville. I currently live in Boulder, Colorado - but my heart is in Accomack County, Virginia. My ancestors have lived in Accomack County since the 1640s. We are losing history with each and every fire that occurs. Old family homes, barns, sheds, restaurants, and motor courts all have intrinsic value. Hopes, dreams, loves, losses, and memories are lost with each and every fire. I cringe every time I see a new case of fire being reported. This is my history going up in smoke. Whoever the arsonist is, they need to be stopped. Stopped cold.
  And I received some dire news from a very good friend - after having lived by herself for the past 23 years, she is giving up her life, her house, her past, and her pets to move in and care for her parents. This decision has wracked her for days. I will happily adopt her cats - if I could, I'd move in and save her house, doing the needed repairs and paying the taxes... but every one knows how it is in this economy. When your parents are ill, you love them, and can't deny them their requests for care. I left all behind me in Florida to care for my Mother on Chincoteague, who had had a massive stroke and then had Alzheimer's and then developed Parkinson's Disease on top of that. At least I didn't have to forgo my pets. Mom slipped back and forth through time, and my cat Bibbin Tucker became her "Sally," from her youth. Bibbin stayed with Mom, on her lap, or beside her all day, and slept next to her pillow all night. That was a wonderful thing to see and observe... Bibbin would respond to me, if I called her Bibbin, but not if I called her Sally. All Mom had to do was whisper, "Sal..." and Bibbin would be there, at Mom's hand, in an instant.
   Lovey and Nedi are doing very well. So are Boo and Rosie and Remy. Nancy and I spoke about Remy today, and we both agreed that we think he got depressed when I was ill and couldn't walk the Rs. He is so happy to see me, and even if he's tired, and not walking well when we return to the house, he seems very happy and content - and will happily eat for me, even if he disdained the food offered before our walk. I am so happy I can make Remy happy.

No comments: