Sunday, March 3, 2013

Various News

What an odd weekend. The current breaking news headline is that Queen Elizabeth II has been admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London, suffering from gastroenteritis. Then there's the sequester that has now gone into effect; the sinkhole that opened in Florida under a man's bedroom and cascaded him to his supposed death; the man who had an argument with his girlfriend, doused her with perfume, and set her on fire; and the photo floating around on FaceBook that shows President Obama clothed in Colonel Muammar Ghaddafi's dress uniform and gold cap, saying that the photo "proves he's not a dictator - (lol)" [sic].
  I readily admit that I have a jaundiced viewpoint on a lot of things. The majority of my ancestors came from Great Britain, and I've always taken a lively interest in what happens in that country. I know that Prince Philip has been ill (after all, he will be 92 years old on 10 June) and has had to reduce his public appearances. Queen Elizabeth II, however, has seemed to be indestructible. Hearing that she's been admitted to the hospital, after cancelling appearances in Swansea, makes me sad. The Queen will be 87 years old on 10 April. After a reign of 60 years (became Queen on 6 February, but was crowned on 2 June 1953), longer than my own life, I am fearful of her passing. Not that Prince Charles will be (or would be) a poor King - for me, it's just the loss of an era.
  I grew up (mostly) in Florida, so hearing about the sinkhole that opened up underneath a man's bedroom in Hillsborough County wasn't a big surprise. The surprise was that the sinkhole appears to be bottomless, and that the poor sleeping man has been declared dead - even as his house is demolished above him. Most of Florida sits on a limestone base - that limestone is full of caves, cracks, crevices, and a heck of a lot of underground water. As Florida populations have blossomed over the years, the aquifer, the water under the land, has been pumped dry for personal and city usage. When the water no longer supports the limestone above it, the limestone cracks, faults, and falls - your typical sinkhole. There are underground rivers and streams beneath most of Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if this poor man's body appears in one of the natural springs, hundreds of miles away. I feel for him and his family - but these things happen when you mess too much with nature.
  Thanks to the sequester, a whole lot of people will be without jobs within the next few weeks. It's sad that our elected officials cannot compromise and save our country. I believe that 80% of Congressional members are to blame - give and take, folks - that's what compromise is! Do it.
   It was in the upper 50s here yesterday, and we hope to reach the mid-50s today. Tomorrow is supposed to be very windy with afternoon or evening snow. Tomorrow is my nephew's birthday, and I'll be able to meet his wife, Erin. (And I'll also be able to finally give Sarah and Michael their Christmas presents...) Monday is also the day I am allowed to officially start back working again - I'll be at Rosie and Remy's house at 10 a.m. to see how they are and walk them.

No comments: