Thursday, October 17, 2013

Coyotes Attack Young Man

Yesterday morning, a 22-year-old man was walking along a trail near Niwot (6 miles to the northeast of Boulder); it was just before dawn and he was thinking about grabbing a quick breakfast before heading off to work.  He heard a noise off to one side, and turned his head - just in time to see three coyotes launch themselves at him.  He managed to fight them off, while yelling loudly.  He then called 911 and was taken to the hospital, where he was treated for puncture wounds, bites and scratches and then released.  No apparent lasting damage was done, but the young man was bleeding from his face, ears, neck, arms, hands and one bite on his stomach.  Two of the three coyotes suspected of attacking him have been killed, and authorities are still seeking the third culprit.
  I am not happy about the coyotes attacking the man without reason - they should be leery of man, and should shy away from him.  But people are feeding the coyotes and desensitizing them to man.  I don't want coyotes in a neighborhood where I live, and I will actively police against them, if they are seen where I live. But...  But they are a natural scavenger and are local denizens of the area.  I don't like it when the big guy in Githens Acres (where I walk dogs and house-sit) trots around in broad daylight, looking fat and content, and unafraid of the people and animals who live there.  Then again, I can't, personally, kill him, either.
  That's the problem with civilization today; people keep encroaching upon territory that has belonged to the wild creatures.  We both need space.  Coyotes are smart animals, known to the Native Americans as "the Trickster," and they adapt easily to new and changing environment.  The problem is with those of us who live with smaller domesticated pets - cats, dogs, rabbits.  We want our beloved pets to be able to run loose in the yard without having to worry about predators, like coyotes.  We expect the wild animals, whom we admire for being wild, to respect our civilized feelings and not even consider our pets as a food source.  That is completely foolhardy.  I love my two cats, and I allow them to play in my back yard when I am home.  I tell myself that I have a good excuse for doing so - I live in a 500-square-foot studio apartment, and my kits need to be able to run and get exercise.  I will be terribly upset if anything happens to my pets to hurt or kill them while they are outside - but that is the risk I have decided to take simply by allowing them outside.  I know that I can't have my cake and eat it, too.  I am aware of the risks.  But most pet owners do not think about or acknowledge them.
  *****
Second half of my trip to Oklahoma City will appear tomorrow...

No comments: