Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Oklahoma City Trip

The only thing wrong with my trip was that it was too short in duration.  Yes, I missed my kits, and they appeared to have missed me, but I really needed a lot more time in Oklahoma City to see what I wanted to see at my leisure...  and I don't know what I would have done if there was, indeed, a championship horse show going on at the same time.  As I've written in earlier blogs, I arrived shortly after noon on Monday at the Will Rogers Airport and checked into the Biltmore Hotel.  The Biltmore has new ownership, and they are currently in the process of re-carpeting all the rooms and making some cosmetic repairs throughout the building.  Personally, I had no complaints - I had a single room, non-smoking, with a king size bed, a love seat and a chair, a bureau, the TV and a standard hotel bathroom.  The only thing "wrong" that I saw was that there were very tiny burn holes in my coverlet - as if a cigar had been dropped, and bits of the ash had made lace of the cloth.
   I walked outside to get my bearings, and saw a Yellow Cab parked in the shade of the building.  I approached the driver, and asked if he would take me to Langston's (Western Wear) in the Stockyards. I had a map of OKC, with places I wanted to go marked on it; and I had looked up the mileage between my hotel and the sites I wanted to see on Mapquest, so I wouldn't be taken advantage of.  This cab, number 11, had an OKC man as the driver, and he drove me straight to Langston's.  I asked if he had a card with his number on it, so I could use him as my regular driver while I was in town.  He gave me his card, and he drove me all around OKC while I was there.  He drove straight, true routes and didn't try to drive aimlessly and "pad" his fare.  I highly recommend Mike (cab # 11) as the best taxi driver in Oklahoma City - if you can get him, you'll be in good hands.
   I wandered through Langston's, then over into the Stockyards themselves; after looking at cattle, the auction, and a lot of cowboys, I wandered back into the town area to visit the other shops.  I had a wonderful time looking at saddles and bridles, halters, boots, hats, saddle blankets, and just about anything you could want for your horse, your self, or your house in the way of Western related items.  Afterwards, I went into the Cattlemen's Restaurant (across the street from Langston's) and had a huge supper - their extra-thick cut Top Sirloin, with a baked potato, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, a salad, and fresh baked rolls.  It was more than worth the cost - absolutely delicious!
  Mike was off duty when I was ready to return to the Biltmore.  I called the cab company, and was picked up by a man who drove me all around town before taking me to the hotel.  He had driven until the fare calculator said $24.75 was due.  The trip to the exact same spot with Mike was $6.  I paid the driver $10, and left, after telling him I knew he was trying to scam me...  (And, boy, did Mike get mad, when I told him about it the next morning!)
  Tuesday I spent at the 45th Infantry Division Museum with my cousin and her family, who drove down from Wichita to see me.  The 45th has a long history and has reason to be proud of it, and their heritage.   It was amazing to see some of the photos, equipment, and memorabilia on display.  The 45th fought at Anzio and on up into Germany; they liberated the Dachau Concentration Camp; and they were the first US troops to enter Hitler's apartment in Berlin, the bunker, and his vacation home.  Quite a few items "liberated" from Hitler's personal quarters can be seen at this free museum.  I am truly in awe of the men who fought and served our country in any capacity, and in all of our conflicts.
   The rest of the week will appear tomorrow...

No comments: