Thursday, October 3, 2013

Trip, Shut Down, and Flood Relief Volunteers

It's a bit chilly (55 degrees) with a breeze blowing outside, but the sky is almost cloud-free and the sun is shining brightly.  Both Lovey and Nedi are stretched out on the patio, basking in the warmth.  I wonder if their senses have informed them that a wet cold front is on its way, and that tomorrow will be very different? All I know is that I want to take a nap, but I still need to do quite a few things before I can allow myself to succumb to the temptation.  I still need to do some cleaning, and laundry; I need to print out my itinerary and reservation confirmations, and I saw several coupons on-line that I'd like to print and have available for the trip to Oklahoma City, also.  I'll borrow my sister's suitcase tomorrow, so I can start packing my clothing items.  The big thing I need to remember is my camera - I want to take photos of the Hardins and Mary, while I'm spending time with them.
  This government shut-down is a slap in the face to a lot of people all around the country.  I honestly am not sure what can be done to get the USA "back on track" - but I know that a lot of businesses and families are feeling this shut down in their bank accounts, stomachs, and brains.  Look at poor Estes Park, here in Colorado - it really got a one-two punch, between the flood that wiped out all the roads to the town, and the fact that most businesses in the town are tourist-driven.  With Rocky Mountain National Park being closed, there is no reason for anyone to even try to visit Estes Park.  Of course, I beg to differ, because I love the ambiance in this small town, nestled in a valley and surrounded by mountains - I like to go and wander and look, and go horseback riding there.  But most roads into and out of the town are closed for repairs, and RMNP, the largest employer and favorite place to visit, being closed to the public - the town and its inhabitants are at the mercy of the bureaucrats in Washington.  It's a very sad situation.
  I had a great walk with Rosie this morning - we walked the outer perimeter of the neighborhood, and got to view the progress on rehabilitating Topaz Drive.  I got all teary when I thanked a large group of people who are volunteer relief workers from Clarksville, Tennessee this morning.  They had three Bobcats going, and were shoveling out two houses that had been almost completely mud-filled by the flood. - A group of 30 members of a church had come out to Colorado, in their own vehicles, at their own expense, and are assisting folks who are still cleaning up from the flooding.  It is wonderfully awe inspiring.  And I thank everyone who has contributed, is contributing, and will continue to help all of the people who need assistance in our area.  They are truly good people.
 

No comments: