Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Walk Down Memory Lane

I just enjoyed a small bit of conversation with someone that I went to school with - from first grade through high school.  There were about 85, or so, of us - started school at Lake Forest Elementary, went to Howard Bishop Junior High, were caught up in desegregation in the 8th grade and were suddenly a part of Eastside Junior - Senior High School, and graduated from Eastside.  I had been assigned a number to post that many things a person might, or might not, know about me (on Facebook).  One of the things I posted was that one of my closest friends had been my music teacher while I was at Lake Forest.  This led to a discussion of the short musical plays that we put on when we were in the fifth and sixth grades - we performed Cowboy on the Moon during fifth grade, school year 1966-67, and The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County in our sixth grade.  Kenny Evans had played Jim Smiley in our teacher's musical make-over of Mark Twain's short story.  Randy Wiggins played the dastardly "Stranger" and Linda Crowder was the saloon owner and sweetheart of Jim Smiley.  Rabbitt and I discussed the songs we remembered and the parts we played, and the fact that he had given the papier mache frog to Linda after the last performance.  Such nice memories of easier, younger, times.
   I was a bit perturbed yesterday by my wellness checkup appointment.  I was due to walk Rosie at 8:55, as always, and I figured that having an 8:05 scheduled appointment - the first one of the day - would get me in and out quickly.  All the Doc had to do was listen to my heart, my lungs, and my carotid arteries; then blood was to be drawn (a 12-hour fasting panel), and I'd receive a flu shot.  I arrived at the office at 7:45; the door was unlocked at 8:00.  I had signed in and filled out my paperwork by 8:03 -  I was called into the work area at 8:35, my weight and temperature were taken.  Then in an exam room, my blood pressure, pulse, and respiration was measured and timed.  At 8:50, my MD appeared, asked a few questions, listened to my heart, lungs, and carotids, and left (well before 9:00).  At 9:15, my flu shot was given; at 9:20, my blood was taken.  Then I had to catch a bus to Quince Street, and then jog a mile to Rosie's house to walk her.  I spotted Rosie and her owner at 9:42; they were at the front of the Waldorf School, a block away from their home.  I took Rosie and finished her walk....
  I had thought that I could easily be processed in a few minutes at the MD's office.  Now I know that it does not run that efficiently.  Because I was fasting, I didn't sit at the dining room table to eat breakfast, and, so, I also forgot to remove my cell phone from it's charger.  Stuck at the MD's (where no cell phones are allowed, anyway) - but I would have called Rosie's owner at 8:25, when it became apparent that I would be running late....   Grrrrrr.  Yesterday was not nice .
  Reminiscing today with Rabbitt about grade school was fantastic.  Thanks, Rabbitt!

No comments: