Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Laminitis updates on St Nicholas Abbey and Jimmy (Black Caviar's brother):  St Nicholas Abbey is being slowly weaned off pain medication for the laminitis in his left forefoot (he had surgery on his right fore, followed by colic surgery this summer).  His vets say this is the "critical" period, seeing if he can move freely without any changes to his pedal bone.   ....  In Australia, Jimmy, the $5 million colt, is also being weaned off his pain meds.  He developed laminitis in both of his fore feet after an adverse reaction to antibiotics for a spider bite.  ....  I hope both colts continue to improve - hopefully, both of them will be able to proceed with a career at stud.
  Immortal Verse, in foal to Dansili, sold at Tattersall's for a record $8.09 million.  The beautiful 5-year-old bay mare, who was a Grade I winner in both England and France, was sold to BBA Ireland, which is going to establish a new partnership for her ownership within Coolmore.
  My kits are crazy.  It's 10 degrees outside, snow is falling (and has been since 5 p.m. yesterday) and the wind chill is -5.  They keep going outside, running through the snow, then coming back to my desk to spray me and the PC with snow attached to their coats.  I just closed the door, and they are looking at me like I'm a horrible spoil-sport.  (My toes were getting cold, even though I have on wool socks and mukluks - of course, a tile floor on a concrete slab does not conduct heat.)
   We are still awaiting results and doctor consultations regarding my brother-in-law's (Kent Snow) medical condition.  He was suffering from a severe headache and was admitted to the hospital for bleeding in his brain.  The MRIs and Cat scans were inconclusive, and none of the MDs is sure what is happening inside Kent's brain.  He's taking a medically-ordered vacation and is taking it easy at home.  His wife Vanessa was recuperating from lymph-node surgery (luckily, the mass was benign) in the hospital, when Kent was admitted.  Vanessa is not dealing well with the stress.  Prayers for that part of the family are appreciated.
 
 
 
 

No comments: