Friday, December 20, 2013

Snow, Nuts, Papa John's

It's nearly 11 a.m. and it's still 19 degrees outside..  a little nippy.  It's grey and overcast, and the clouds have been slowly lowering in the west; the tops of the Flatirons are shrouded in clouds, mist, and light snow. We're having small flurries here in town - they started falling as I was waiting for the bus to go walk Rosie. Since it was so cold, both Rosie and Lucy got short fast walks - 15 minutes apiece, but without the usual moseying about and tons of sniffing everything we encountered.  I had my sweater, coat, scarf, and Santa cap on (not to mention the gloves and wool socks), so I wasn't really chilled - but the dogs were, and neither owns a coat, therefore the short brisk walks.  My kits are watching the squirrels clash over the two piles of nuts - the same sized piles of the same nuts - but the outside kids get quarrelsome.  Since it is winter, I feed them nuts with a higher fat content at this time of the year.  They are getting a mixture of pecans, walnuts, hazel nuts, Brazil nuts, peanuts and a little dried corn...  And they will happily go through 2 pounds or more per day, so I usually put out 3/4 pound twice a day, in two different spots.
   I guess that I won't be eating Papa John's Pizza any more.  I placed my order yesterday at 3:25 p.m., walked over a block to the store and found out they had moved.  Walked back home, called the store, was promised free delivery.  Waited.  After an hour, I called the store again, and was on hold for 10 minutes before I was able to speak to anyone.  I was informed that the first driver had been in a wreck and totaled his car on the way to my delivery, but that a second river, with the original food was just leaving.  I got my meal delivered at 5:10.  It was cold.    No more Papa John's....   And I was never contacted by anyone about the fiasco on 6 December, not by anyone local, nor by corporate.  I'm disappointed.
   My cousin Aleda's husband, Cap'n Barry Frishman, is currently working in the Dagami area of Leyte Province in the Philippines.  This is a video of the destruction that occurred there during Typhoon Haiyan:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhbfWHtlk5I    Barry is staying with a foster family, and is sharing food with them, eating rice three times a day....  He's a good man.

No comments: