Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This And That

It's very windy out, again.  Yesterday, the building next to mine measured the wind speed at 71.3 miles per hour...  It isn't a constant wind - it dies down, and one can hear birds and traffic; then it blasts through the trees again, and one hears the branches waving, sighing, moving, in the wind.  At my sister's house, this morning, Rosie and I were listening to the limbs of three cottonwood trees and one weeping willow rub against one another.  The differences in sound were amazing.  The wind began Sunday evening, and seems to die down in the mid-afternoon hours, but then picks up again once the sun sets.  And we're expecting the wind to continue through Friday...   *sigh*
  Otherwise, it's sunny and bright outside, after being cloudy yesterday.  It's been interesting watching things blow around, through, and over the back yard....  Multiple plastic bags, styrofoam packing pieces, light-weight trash, even boxes fly through the air (and over the 6-foot-high privacy fence) in this type of weather.
The kits enjoy running in and out with weather like this, so I allow them to do so until the sound of the wind whining through the door starts to bother me.  Then the kits come inside and the door is firmly closed.
   My recurrent shingles hit Sunday - this time inside my left nostril...  It feels like the left side of my head is the size of a huge beach ball, even though it looks normal.  It feels totally weird.  Lovey can't understand why I don't want her to wash the left side of my face right now - but she still goes to town cleaning the right side, once we get in bed.   --  And I admit to wasting $4 today - I purchased two lottery tickets with the extremely faint hope of winning the $400 million jackpot....
   I have been digging into the Lancaster and Mobley families for the past week - Dad's maternal side - and have found more Judges, Reverends, Medical Doctors, and Sheriffs in the family tree.  Have found, also, how the families split over the Civil War - it's very interesting.  Right now I'm trying to trace Ezekiel Boone, to see how, exactly, he was related to Daniel Boone - a Great Aunt married Ezekiel...   I've been finding a treasure trove of old family photos that have been shared on-line, too.
   And Boulder is celebrating because the Boulder International Film Festival was once again a success, with Shirley MacLaine here; and because one of "Boulder's own" won the bronze medal in the Olympic Snowboard Cross...  I put "Boulder's own" in quotation marks, because the guy actually grew up in Vermont, but is now living in Boulder....  So, congratulations, Alex Diebold!

No comments: