Thursday, April 10, 2014

Books and Vikings

I met an older lady the other day, and we were inside a building, without bright light.  She suddenly asked me how I managed to be so tan...  I was surprised, but I told her that I'm out nearly every day walking dogs, and that I thought if she'd look closer, she'd see my "tan" was masses of freckles.  I guess that means it's time for me to start wearing my sun hat and sun glasses again.  I was going to do so yesterday - but after an hour of bright sun shine, we had a huge mountain wave cloud that closed off the sun until 2 in the afternoon; then it finally moved off to the east.  Today, it's bright out, even though it's almost 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. It reached 75 degrees yesterday, and we're expecting mid-60s through Saturday, but rain and snow Sunday and Monday....  Oh, well.   We can use the moisture!
   I've been waiting for the second book of the Farseer Trilogy to be available from the library.  Yesterday I finished Assassin's Apprentice but was still waiting for Royal Assassin.  So I picked up and began reading the next book in The Saxon Tales series, by Bernard Cornwell, The Pagan Lord.  If you're interested in England, and English history, during the Viking invasions and during the Dane Law, I highly recommend this series of books.  It follows the life of a Northumbrian lad into manhood and old age, including his raising by Danes, his return to the Saxons and his grudging loyalty to King Alfred the Great.  The author has done extensive research into the ways of life at that time, and the beliefs of the different peoples, including the spreading wave of Christianity.  The books are all superbly written!
  Both of my kits are back inside, and I'm preparing to go walk Rosie and Lucy.  I was amazed yesterday evening because the woman who owns the service dog was actually walking around, picking up all the poop in the back yard yesterday.  She had a very disgusted look on her face, but at least she is now following the community rules.  After walking the dogs this  morning, I'll stop by the library to return three books and pick up the second and third installments of the Farseer Trilogy...  I received an e-mail this morning that they are ready for pick-up.  Yippee!
  And, of course, today is Thor's Day - which means another new episode of Vikings on the History Channel.  There have been hints that Floki and Helga's romance might be heating up, and a warning that someone comes to join forces with King Ecbert of Wessex.  I wonder if that means we'll see King Aelle again?  I know that Aelle is instrumental in Ragnar's eventual death, so it seems fitting that he will appear, off and on, in the series.  And, hopefully, all of you know that Vikings has been signed on for a third year!

No comments: