Sunday, April 6, 2014

Horse Racing, Gators, Left-Overs

Poor Gators.  I was cringing by half-time, but I watched 'til the bitter end....  Ouch.
   Yesterday's 3-year-old thoroughbred racing was exhilarating and fun, on the other hand.  In the Santa Anita Derby, California Chrome was, again, a dominating winner, in the lead at the finish line by more than five lengths, and having been asked to slow down for the last sixteenth of a mile.  It looks like the bright chestnut colt, with plenty of white markings (aka "chrome"), will probably be the betting favorite for the Kentucky Derby.  Victor Espinoza rode the winner with beautiful precision; Mike Smith  was able to grab second place with Hoppertunity; while second-betting choice Candy Boy was third, under the guidance of Gary Stevens.  In the Santa Anita Oaks, Gary Stevens was in the saddle of the winner, Fashion Plate; Ria Antonia was second, and Bajan finished third.
  The finish of the 1 and 1/16 mile Ashland Stakes was a rare dead heat, with both Rosalind and Room Service hitting the finish line at the same time.  Thank You Marylou ran third (or second, since the first two tied).  In the Calder Derby, Ring Weekend looked to be the winner, but he shied away from his jockey's whip, and Our Caravan flew past him.  Cleburne was third.
  At Aqueduct, the Bay shore Stakes was run for sprinters (though, years ago, it has also been used as a Derby prep race) - 7 furlongs. Coup de Grace nosed Oliver Zip for the win, and Kobe's Back was in third.  The Wood Memorial was described as a show-down between Uncle Sigh and undefeated Samraat.  I looked at the field in the paddock and picked Wicked Strong as my choice to win.  I have to say that I was amazed when he did win.  Rajiv Maragh guided Wicked Strong through the race with patience, and then unleashed a strong drive down the middle of the stretch.  (I think the colt wanted to bolt to the outside as they came to the final turn, myself...) Samraat placed second, just ahead of Social Inclusion.  Uncle Sigh was fifth.  Samraat's trainer felt this was a good effort by his colt, and that the race would teach him to tighten up and want to win more strongly.
   And I wanted to also write about a very small incident that happened to me on the Pearl Street Mall during Friday's stroll.  Beatrice and I had eaten brunch at Turley's.  Friday they had made a batch of their scrumptious raspberry muffins, and I had one with my meal.  Before leaving, I purchased two more, and was given them in a small brown cardboard box inside a pale green plastic bag.  For some reason, most restaurants in Boulder use this green bag for patrons carrying left-overs.  During our stroll up and down Pearl Street, I was approached three times, by three different people, each asking if I would give them my "left-overs."  I was so amazed that, each time, I just shook my head "no" with my mouth agape.  The people asking this were not the usual homeless folks seeking food.  They were well-dressed women and a man, all in their mid-20s.  I think that was a large part of my shock.  They all caught my eye and asked the question in passing, without pausing in their stride - I asked one of my friends, a Boulder police officer, about it later that evening.  He said that since the City has passed the no-panhandling laws, this was one of the ways the younger folks were feeding themselves, while they used their actual cash for drugs and drink...  That is just so disappointing and sad for our culture.  I know over 150 homeless people, and, if I have cash, I'll take them out to eat, if they tell me they're hungry - I consider that my duty as a human being.  But begging for left-overs completely turned me OFF.

No comments: