Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Tennessee Bird Walk & The Kentucky Oaks Draw

I woke up this morning with a song stuck in my head - I believe that it's called an "ear-wig" these days.  The song was released in 1970, and was sung by a husband and wife duet, Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan.  It was a novelty - or party - song.  It reached #23 in the Top 100 Hits List, and was #1 on the Country charts for a week or two.  These are the lines that are stuck in my head:
"So, remember me, my darling, when Spring is in the air,
And those bald-headed birds are whispering everywhere,
When you see them walking southward in their dirty underwear,
That's the Tennessee Bird Walk....    (Chirp, chirp)"
I hadn't thought of that song in years, and I have no idea why it is running around inside my brain today. Spring is in the air, but I have seen no bald-headed birds, I haven't seen them whispering, and I haven't observed any birds wearing dirty underwear walking to the south....  So why is it stuck in my brain?
   Thirteen fillies are entered in Friday's running of the $1 million Kentucky Oaks.  Following is their Post Position, followed by the ladies' names, the names of their jockeys, and  the morning betting odds:
1.   Please Explain,  Jose Lezcano    50 to 1
2.   Ria Antonia,  Mike E Smith       10 to 1
3.   Sugar Shock,  Calvin Borel        12 to 1
4.   Rosalind,   Joel Rosario          8 to 1
5.   Thank You Marylou,   Julian Leparoux    30 to 1
6.   Kiss Moon,  Victor Espinoza    30 to 1
7.   Fashion Plate,  Gary Stevens    6 to 1
8.   Aurelia's Belle,  Channing Hill    50 to 1
9.   Unbridled Forever,  Robby Albarado    12 to 1
10.  Empress of Midway,  Corey Nakatani     50 to 1
11.  My Miss Sophia,  Javier Castellano    8 to 1
12.  Got Lucky,   John Velasquez    20 to 1
13.  Untapable,   Rosie Napravnik     4 to 5
I'll write about the fillies tomorrow, and Thursday I'll write about the 20 colts in the Derby.

No comments: