Monday, May 19, 2014

A Beautiful Day!

I awoke to sunny skies and a temperature of 55 degrees.  I fed my kits and the squirrels, cleaned litter boxes, showered and dressed.  Squirrels and birds surrounded me on my morning walk to the bakery for a bagel.  On the way back, I saw that all the snow has melted from the mountains here in the Front Range, while the Indian Peaks have received a new coating of snow.  The view is fantastic.  Today is Victoria Day in Canada, and it is also my niece Sarah's birthday.  -  I don't know if the family will get together to celebrate Sarah's birthday today, or not, so I'll take her card over to her parents when I walk Rosie this morning.
   Nancy, who has three cats, and has been evicted for non-payment of rent, thinks she has found a place to move to.  Earlier this past week, she asked me do do a background search on someone who offered to share an apartment with her - but she was astounded when she found that it would cost money to do so.  I showed her the person's facebook page and several other pages he had joined, and looked him up in the Sex Offenders listings (thankfully I did not find him there).  But she had reservations - he's homeless, he's here in Boulder with his last residence listed as Lyons, and he said he was an Atheist on his facebook page, but had taken his newest selfie under a cross.  Apparently that didn't work out...  Yesterday she informed me that an older man that's a member of her church offered her the upper story of his house, as his wife had died three years ago.  He likes cats, and he said he'd charge her $500 per month, which would include her utilities.  He said they'd share the entrances and the washer and dryer, but otherwise, she'd have her portion of the house to herself.  Needless to say, Nancy is happy and excited.
  I also had an interesting conversation with Britta last night.  Britta is the owner of Boulder, the service dog, whom I had a lot of problems with.  The dog still runs loose in the back yard, still chases other creatures, still poops all over (without Britta picking it up), and still barks at me when I move inside my apartment and he is loose outside.  Britta was given a 30-day eviction notice on April 4.  She was supposed to have been moved out by 3 May.  She told me in mid-April that she had found a place that would accept her and her cat, dog, and birds.  Then, two days before she was going to move in, they rejected her.  She had no place to go, so she decided to sue the apartment complex and the owner for illegally evicting her.  At the moment, she hopes to settle out-of-court, and told me that all she wants is for the "eviction" to be removed from her rental record.  She states that since Boulder is her service dog, the management is breaking the law by evicting her because of my complaints about him.  She also said she has now found another place to rent, and that while there is a hefty deposit, she believes all will be fine there - except they won't accept her with an eviction record.  She laughed and shrugged and said that by the time she moved in, her suit against the apartment wouldn't be settled, so it really didn't matter...   The world just seems to be getting weirder and weirder to me.

No comments: