Saturday, May 3, 2014

Bits And Pieces

Today's a bits and pieces day - little bits of left-over and follow-up news -
  If you haven't yet looked at the Kentucky Derby entries, there's a great article that touches on every runner at:  http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84795/kentucky-derby-preview-bring-it-home-chrome
and, if you'd just like to look at photos, pedigrees, and racing or sales history, check out the main page of The Bloodhorse and scroll down to the listings of the 19 entries (I always look at the expanded 5 generation pedigree, myself) at:   http://www.bloodhorse.com/
   The two attacked ducklings here in Boulder are doing better, but must still get much stronger and heal well to actually recover.  Wildlife and police officers are seeking the two boys who threw stones at the babies.
   Denver is celebrating Cinco de Mayo today, with all kinds of activities.   Today is also the day of the Furry Scurry, a 5 or 10 kilometer walk/jog with your dog.  A small entry fee is requested; but all proceeds are divided between our local no-kill animal shelters,.
   Chincoteague is celebrating the first Saturday in May with their Chinco de Mayo festival.  Today is also the day of the annual  Chincoteague Seafood Festival.
   I can't conceive of tubing in Boulder Creek at the moment - with it being early May, and with the snow melt beginning, the water temperature in the Creek is at 43 degrees...  But Boulder Creek is now open for tubing, kayaking, canoeing, and swimming between Boulder Falls (a couple of miles to the west in Boulder Canyon) to 38th Street (here in Boulder, just west of the new hospital).  I can understand wanting to jump in the water when the outside temperature is in the 90s, or 100s...  I just can't find enthusiasm to freeze on the first day with a temperature of 80 (hopefully).
   And I am very sleepy today.  I stopped reading and turned out my light at 10:30 last night, and fell asleep almost instantly.  I was awakened at 11:03 by neighbors coming home and, apparently, switching their party area to their apartment and balcony.  There was no loud music, but, just as I was about to drift off to sleep again (and again and again and again...), the folks would hoot and holler, or all the women would squeal - and that kept waking me up.  At 1 a.m., I dressed and stepped out onto my patio.  I ascertained which apartment was having a party above me, and then I called the non-emergency police number, and asked them to shut the party down.  They responded in less than 10 minutes, and, after a lot of loud cursing on the balcony, people became quiet (and, I assume, left).  But I awoke as usual at 5, and couldn't go back to sleep.  Rats.

No comments: