Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Exhausting (Emotionally) Day

Yesterday ended up being a taxing day for me.  As most of you know, I interact better with non-humans, rather than people.  I had a nasty headache yesterday and was fighting that, when  a friend called (from two doors down in the apartment building) and informed me she had just been given a 30-days eviction notice.  She was very upset, and I don't blame her - but the management has good reason to say good-bye to her.  It took her three different tellings, but it finally came out that she is more than 45 days behind in her rent, and she has been making very erratic partial payments since January.  These are studio apartments, with little to no storage space; she stacked plastic bags and bins, completely filling her patio like a storage unit when she moved in, and management asked her for more than a year to move it inside (or away) as it was considered an eyesore (she moved it inside last month).  She also burns sage, other herbs, and incense inside her apartment, and it seeps out into the hall around her door - it does small peculiar at times.  She also has three cats, including Bob, the cat that comes here to eat and use my kits' litter boxes.  She doesn't clean her cats' litter boxes until they begin using the bathroom on the floor in protest of soaking wet and filled-to-overflowing potty boxes.
  As she works for the Boulder Homeless Consortium, she knows all of the resources available to those who have lost their place to live, but was ashamed to have to contact them.  She wants me to convince any one of my clients to rent her a room in their home - which won't happen, because none of them want a stranger who allows people she doesn't know to "stay over" at her place for indeterminate amounts of time.  She has a lot of mental problems, works only occasionally, and believes that she should rule the world - and that she would make it a better place.  Her adoptive Mother, who raised her from an infant, passed away last June; she is still blaming her own "not thriving" (at 48) on her Mom's death. One of her Mom's friends, in another state, sends her $500 a month to help her pay her rent ($700).  And she demands your entire, whole, 100 % attention when she is with you - if your eyes slide away from her, she will snap her fingers and demand that you look her in the eyes, or at her face.  My therapist says she's poison and I need to avoid her.  But I allowed her over to cry and fume yesterday.  I'm exhausted today.
  She has placed an add on Craig's List, stating that she is seeking a place to live, that she has 3 cats, and how much she can afford to spend per month.  Then she states that she's a "seasonal worker" and that this is the off season.  How much more can you yell that you're not a good prospect as a room-mate or house-sharer?  I have known her for less than two years - she worked for 10 days where my sister is employed, and told my sister she was moving into my apartment building, and my sister told her to "look me up."  That's how we ended up being connected...  She has worked at least 20 jobs in the last 20 months, and either quits, or is fired, due to "personal problems with other employees."  I don't know how she is going to survive.  I feel sorry for her, but she has brought most of her problems upon herself and cannot, or will not, accept that she is responsible.  Everything is always someone else's fault.  I do pity her and her circumstances.

No comments: