Thursday, May 8, 2014

Hail and Miscellany

As I was awaiting the bus, after walking Rosie yesterday morning, small rain drops began to fall.  The bus arrived soon thereafter, and once I in my seat, George, our driver, began singing one of his songs - "a rain song," he said.  It was a hauntingly beautiful song about young love in the country, watching rain fall while sheltering under a willow tree.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The short sprinkle ended before we reached the bus station.
  Once I got home, I started looking at apartments and rooms for lease, trying to help out both Britta (next door, with the service dog, cat, and birds) and Nancy, who has 3 cats.  Neither can afford to pay a lot, and living/renting in Boulder is expensive.  Out of 500 ads, I found 4 that met Nancy's criteria, and 3 that met Britta's.  *Ouch*    The darkness outside kept building, and, finally, there were a couple of peals of thunder - followed by hail and rain.  The hail ran between the size of large peas to almost golf-ball size, and fell for about 10 minutes, mixed with cold, pelting rain.  Quite a few folks playing tennis on the courts behind me actually yelped when the skies opened.  We've had occasional rain since then, and have a 75% chance of showers throughout today and tonight.  We need the precipitation, so I will not complain.
  This morning, I'm going straight to the Credit Union to wire funds to my cousin in Virginia.  She and her husband need a bit of a helping hand at the moment, and, as I have a little cash to spare, I'm sending it to her.  Then I'll go walk Rosie (taking my golf umbrella with me), and then Lucy.  After a stop at the library to pick up two books on hold, I'll come back to my kits.  Then, this evening, I'll be taking care of the Thore critters, and then going over to Rosie's for a couple of hours...  Then home and to bed.
   Some of the colts who raced in the Kentucky Derby came back with a few scratches, nicks, and cuts, but nothing was serious.  California Chrome is on his way to Pimlico for the Preakness.  Commanding Curve, who finished second, will skip the Preakness and aim for the Belmont.  And there are quite a few colts who will be jumping into the Preakness without having contested the Derby.  I'll let you know more, as the dust clears.
   And, finally...  Just who are the Koch brothers?  What do they own?  What's their background?  What is the history of their companies?  How many advertising groups are they behind?  Do they have their own PAC?  What, exactly, do they believe in?   All this, and more, in blogs to come.....

No comments: