Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cold Front Was Dramatic

It was glorious weather yesterday - highs in the upper 70s, a light breeze, and partly cloudy skies.  But we had been warned about a cold front coming through in the late afternoon/early evening - and with good reason.  Dark clouds piled up in every direction and the wind began to increase about 4:30.  Then we had lightning, thunder, and sheets of wind-driven rain.  The temperature dropped from 78 degrees to 57 degrees in 45 minutes.  -  It was 47 degrees here this morning, and in the northwest corner of the state, there was a freeze warning out, as temperatures dropped into the upper-20s during the night.  I admit, that about 30 minutes after the rain began to fall, I closed my patio window and kept all the kits inside for the night.  It felt very chilly, with the wind blowing the rain half-way across the patio, and I slept under covers for the first time in weeks.
   The Summer Solstice will occur at 4-something Saturday morning, and we're expecting a high of 91 to 95 on what will be almost the first full day of summer.  My clients are leaving early (6 a.m.) Saturday morning for their trip to Hawaii, so I'll be headed over there on the first bus of the morning.  I'm stopping by the house tomorrow morning for last-minute garden care information, as well as irrigation ditch info, so that, hopefully, everything will go smoothly while the family is away.  I'll be missing  my kits, once again, but will be spending at least 2 or 3 hours each day with them.  At least I have the use of the TV, DVD, stereo system, and the Internet while the family is gone - not to mention the hammock under the weeping willow in the back yard.
   I took Cooper and Lola out for a walk yesterday, after I had spent my hour with Rosie, and will do the same again today.  Rosie and I missed Boo yesterday at the Snow house, and I found out later that she had visited the veterinarian and had blood drawn for testing.  Boo hasn't been interested in eating since the last week of May, even though she ate well while she was visiting Rosie with  me.  Jim says she also ate well when Mona was over for the weekend.  She has lost 3 pounds, and is very quiet - she loves treats, but will literally spit her kibble back out, if you hand-feed her a piece.  We're getting worried about her, and are eagerly awaiting the lab results.
  I hope the rest of your week is fantastic for you!

No comments: