Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday Heat

I went to bed last night re-reading The Last Camel Died At Noon, and, after I dropped the book on  my  face the third time, I decided to turn off the reading light and go to sleep.  It was after 10:30, and I sighed gratefully into the pillows and relaxed.  Then the bongos began, followed by my friend Nancy's voice laughing and chatting at full volume while finishing her move out with a friend assisting.  I had just fallen asleep when Nancy came to my patio window and started repeating my name... I asked what she wanted and said she had "just a few things" that she needed to leave on  my patio overnight - that she would move them tomorrow (that is, today).  I said OK and then tried to get back to sleep while she and her friend were giggling and moving items onto my patio.  It was a weird night.
   We are expecting a high of about 90 degrees today -  with gusty winds today and tomorrow.  I'm sitting here in jersey knit shorts and a T-shirt and already have my hair pinned up off my neck because it's so warm.  The kits, Lovey and Nedi, are running out and about this morning, and visiting with Harvey, the Belgian Giant rabbit, next door.  Erwin is curled up asleep on the sofa, and Bob is asleep in my clothes hamper in the closet.  I'm home for the rest of this week, and will only be walking Rosie these weekday mornings - a semi-vacation for me!  But on Saturday, I'll move into Lynn Thore's house for two weeks, and will be caring for her dog, cats, koi, and gardens...  At least I can read in her hammock in the back yard while Tess is outside with me - and I can bring Rosie and Boo over to visit Tess.  The big thing will be to keep the cats out of Rosie's sight - but she's (finally) getting calmer about seeing them through the windows and French doors.
   Speaking of Rosie, the top female jockey of our time, Rosie Napravnik, will be unable to ride horses on the track for the next 4 to 6 weeks.   She was riding a filly name Socialbug, who had a catastrophic breakdown, and Rosie was catapulted from the saddle.  She has a separation between her clavicle and shoulder that needs time to heal.  This happened after she rode Tapiture to victory in the Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs.

   You may have noticed the blogs of State Parks photos that have appeared on  my site.  I find the different views and topography of of 50 states fascinating, and I'm sharing a few of my favorite shots from each state with you...   Besides, pretty soon I'll be writing about almost nothing except Chincoteague and Assateague Islands in Virginia, and posting photos of the islands and the local wildlife; I thought a wide variety beforehand might be nice.

No comments: