Monday, July 14, 2014

Pony Penning Fever

I've already captured and released (and a medical check-up) another sparrow this morning.  Lovey brought the youngster in and let it go in the clothes hamper (it doesn't have a lid).  I was able to capture it inside a book bag, where it was trying to escape Lovey; the bird was unharmed, so I turned it loose in the front of the building.  That's six birds in three days - either the sparrows are getting slower (or younger?), or the kits are perfecting their catching skills.
    I called my friend Mary at our agreed time on Friday afternoon, but missed her.  I've called back multiple times, but still receive no answer.  I hope she's OK.   I called and left a message for my friend Carolyn in Vero Beach on Saturday, and she called me back yesterday morning, so we had a wonderful chat.  I spoke with my friend, Michele, in Illinois on both Saturday and Sunday evening...  I feel like my ear is a suction cup attached to the phone this morning.  And I go to Maggie May's this morning for 10 days...
  The Antares re-supply rocket launch from Wallop's Island to the International Space Station flew through the skies yesterday afternoon, stampeding a herd of Angus cattle on a farm in Atlantic, Virginia.  WBOC, the local ABC station from Salisbury, Maryland has an interesting video of the launch and stampede.  It was filmed by Jay Diem, who takes incredible photos of Chincoteague's annual Pony Penning for the Salisbury Daily Times newspaper.
    ...  Of course I led the blog back to Chincoteague and Pony Penning!  It's like a fever that I won't be able to be cured from until the first week of August...
     If you're still interested in articles and videos regarding Chincoteague, I have a few to recommend:

http://fathomaway.com/guides/usa/us-south/itineraries/what-to-do-in-chincoteague-virginia/
(a nice little article, with photos, that mentions Captain Barry)

http://www.hrtv.com/videos/inside-information-ponies-of-chincoteague/
(an HRTV presentation, including interviews with Chincoteaguers)

And there is always both the Chincoteague website and the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company site:
http://www.chincoteague.com/

http://www.cvfc3.com/

Chincoteague Pony Swim   -  27 July 2011

No comments: