Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Pull of the Islands

The weather folks are forecasting a high of 97 today, and I can believe it - it was 80 degrees at 7 a.m. this morning.  By that time, I had cared for all the critters where I'm house-sitting, walked the dog, and watered all of the hanging baskets and potted plants.  (The baskets continue to look fine, but, as I said before, the Chinese wisteria lost about 90% of it's leaves.  And it's definitely my fault.)  Anyway, my kits are running around outside , and I've had breakfast and checked out all my usual sites for news of interest and e-mail.  I will return home tomorrow after walking Rosie, and don't have to leave my place until Tuesday morning - to walk Rosie. It will be heavenly to be in my own bed with my own cats tomorrow night...  I can't wait!
   I haven't heard otherwise, so I'm guessing that the fireworks that were postponed Friday night, to to high winds in the aftermath of Hurricane Arthur, went of without any problems last night.  And, as usual in July, my island blood is starting its siren song, calling me back to the Eastern Shore of Virginia.   You know, that's a lie...  I start feeling the pull of the islands in March, it seems to reach a peak around Pony Penning, and then settles back down in late October.  I don't believe that a single day passes without my thinking of Chincoteague and Assateague, my parents, and my husband.
  So, probably beginning tomorrow, most of my posts will relate to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands, Pony Penning, our Volunteer Fire Company, the local history, birds that use the Atlantic Flyway, wildlife on the islands, and ponies.
  For today, I'll just suggest two FaceBook pages to visit - one for cruises around the islands, based out of Chincoteague; and the other for the Barrier Islands Center, which is located in the idyllic town of Machipongo, to the south of Chincoteague.  I highly endorse both enterprises.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain-Barrys-Back-Bay-Cruises/155032211287774
(These cruises are run by my cousin, Captain Barry Frishman - they are a super combination of sight-seeing, and learning about the marine and island ecology.  The exception is the Champagne Sunset Cruise, which is very quiet and cozy...)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrier-Islands-Center/130871130768
This group has fantastic programs, great films, and superb children's books.  Check out the two available books about the Hog Island Sheep - they are awesome!!!

No comments: