Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall?

A cool, damp morning in Boulder today.  Poor Nedi!  I hadn't seen him for a while, so before I left to pick up my medication refills, I stood at the patio door and called him.  Less than a minute later, I hear this drowsy "Mmmrrrrrwww?" and look down to see Nedi yawning mightily.  He'd been inside his padded cube bed, and I hadn't even seen him.  Woke the poor guy up for no reason.
   I got a lot of stares on my way to the pharmacy.  I was, and still am, wearing a pair of jersey cotton shorts, a T-shirt and sneakers.  Almost everyone else had on sweat pants, sweat shirts, hoodies, and/or multiple layers.  It's chilly out - but not cold - not by a long shot!  Cold is when it's -10 degrees, the wind is blowing at 35 mph, and snow is piled up.  And this is from a person who spent most of the year in Florida, while growing up.
   Horse racing.  Jockey Corey Nakatani, who's been riding for 28 years, was thrown by a two-year-old behind the gate before the start of a race yesterday.   Corey got up, and approached the filly to re-mount, and she swung her hindquarters and kicked Corey in the middle of the chest.  Gate workers said that Corey flew at least 10 feet through the air due to the impact.  He's being checked at a local hospital.    Jockey Rajiv Maragh is recovering after having two plates and several screws placed in his right arm, after a fall from Wicked Strong in the Jockey Gold Cup race on Saturday.  Wicked Strong almost fell after clipping heels with Moreno about half-way through the 1 and 1/4 mile race.  The colt managed to stay on his feet, but lost his jockey.  Moreno, who finished fourth in the race was disqualified and placed last, after stewards decided he caused the accident to Wicked Strong.  - By the way, Tonalist, the colt who won the Belmont Stakes this year, won the Gold Cup, easily defeating older horses and other three-year-olds.
   It doesn't seem possible that September is almost over.  I've been so busy that I've lost track of time and the seasons.  It seems like it should still be mid-August to me.  I'll have to look for my long sleeved shirts, sweat pants, and heavy jeans this week.  I know where my snow boots are.  And I'll need to buy some more thick wool socks.  Other than that, I'm ready for fall and winter...

No comments: