Friday, September 12, 2014

First Snow in Boulder

The weather folks said we'd get a mixture of rain and snow beginning at midnight....  It started about 7 a.m., instead.  Currently, just rain and drizzle are falling, even though it's 34 degrees outside at half-past 10....  But there is no accumulation of snow here in the yard, or anywhere that I can see.  But I did get a nice photo of the snow falling around 9 this morning - the white streaks are falling snow:

  I did have an unpleasant surprise when I visited the main public library yesterday - I returned the single book that I had, walked in, and perused the new books sections, both fiction and non-fiction, and was slightly dismayed that nothing on the shelves piqued my interest.  I then walked up to the main floor area that displays the fiction, mystery, science fiction and fantasy, westerns, and young adult fiction area.  There were no bookshelves, and there were no books.  I wandered up to the next level, and found the reference area and non-fiction books.  I went down to the main level and found the audio books, DVDs, juvenile books, children's books, and the large-print areas.  But no adult fiction.
  My friend Renee was working at the checkout desk, and I took a round-about route to her, peeking at the dry-erase board in the lobby.  I had walked past it on the way in without looking at it.  The info board stated that the areas I found missing were boxed up during renovations, and, if you wanted a book other than what was on the new shelves, you had to go on-line and request it.  If the book was available from another branch, you would be able to pick it up at the main branch.  Otherwise, the books are packed up until "near the end of 2014," according to the notice.  So I went to Renee and requested 10 books - five Yarbro Saint Germain books from Prospector, and books by Laura McHugh, Julia Keller, and Jacqueline Winspear.  Now I'm waiting for them to be available for pick-up.  So, I'm re-reading the newest C J Cherryh book in the Foreigner series, the newest James Rollins book in the Sigma Force series, and several old copies of Zane Grey westerns....
   Thank goodness for three college football games on Saturday and the Broncos on Sunday!  I am feeling a lot of animosity, and I hope that yelling at the players on TV will relieve the stress...    Oh, and even though it's 34 degrees outside now, tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny and in the 70s, with sun and 80s on Sunday....  Colorado....  What can you say?

No comments: