Saturday, October 4, 2014

Odds And Ends

Gee, it's 46 degrees both here in Boulder, and in Newton, Illinois.  Mid- to upper 70s in Gainesville, Vero Beach, and Chincoteague.  But, for once, Chincoteague has the highest humidity at 85%, with all the other sites in the 70 percentile.    A lot of Oregon State Beaver fans cheered when they arrived in the Millennium Harvest House parking lot last night....  and they seem to be here in force, as the grocery store was full of them at 7 this morning.  I was wearing brown jeans and a green sweater this morning, when a 4-year-old Beaver fan asked me whose colors I was wearing...  I told him they were my own, and asked who he cheered for.  He proudly stuck his chest out and showed me the Oregon State logo on his sweatshirt, so I said, "Go, Beavers!"  and was surprised when he squealed with delight....
   There was a nice, quiet young bull moose visiting the neighborhood adjoining Chautauqua Park yesterday; unfortunately, he caused several traffic jams because folks wanted to take photos of him.  The Wildlife folks tranquilized him and transported him back up into the National Forest, near Nederland.  I spoke with one of the male teachers at the Waldorf school yesterday, and asked if he knew that the mountain lion was being sighted at both dusk and dawn along his favorite walk by the creek - where he takes his class every day.  We walked over and I showed him the paw prints, which freaked him out.
    I have the SEC Network on my television right now, and am enjoying listening to Tim Tebow talk about the different teams and players.  The other commentators haven't asked him to do a Steve Spurrier impression today - yet.  Both kits have been out for a couple of hours, but both are now curled up on my bed, snuggled in the afghan.
   I have been looking at the "vacation cottages" available for Pony Penning, since we're doing the family reunion that week.  It's amazing to me to see so many homes for rent on a weekly basis.  How many bedrooms and bathrooms do we want?  Do we want want start renting, for the week, on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? Do we want to supply our own bed linens and bath towels, or rent them?  Do we want to be on the waterfront?  Do we want a pool available?  So many variables.  I'd have no problem deciding on something if it were just me going -   but there are 3 couples plus me, and a small child.....  Will being on the water compromise Evie's safety?  Do we want to stay near the beach, near the carnival grounds, near down town, or away from it all?  I've sent out a questionnaire to all the adults, and Kathy and I will look at places available in 10 days, and make the decision.

No comments: